Found these films when cleaning room, Cool stuff

Soldato
I remember from a year ago when i took these photos....
I was helping dad fix/tidy/clean his camera collection, He owns many antique cameras as well as high end digital cameras which he usesfrom day to day.

One of the cameras which cought my eye was a size of 4 bricks, and used these big films!. I then learnt how to use it and boom i shot off to take photos of the Humber scepter which was sitting in the front garden and our house..

Here they are

dsc00424tu1.jpg

dsc00425wr3.jpg

^for idea of the size of film^
dsc00427wx7.jpg

Just thought id show you all :p

EDIT, the screen im using is a 19inch widescreen.

Associate
Nice old car there , dont see many of these at the shows .I was trying to recognise the radiator grill badge ,were these Rootes ?
old123.jpg
[/IMG]

Soldato
OP
Nice try, its hard to recognise the car from that poor photo, Its a Humber Scepter. And i see you corrected the colours :).

I will probably scan them im tomorrow or so.

Also i sold the car after i got the engine working. Was a nice car to work on but with all the rust it wasnt worth keeping any longer.

Associate
I'm a big fan of these old cars .Have been going to some old car shows recently with my camera .You see these cars in such a pristine condition .I wonder if your old car has been rebuilt or just simply scrapped ?

Soldato
OP
I'm a big fan of these old cars .Have been going to some old car shows recently with my camera .You see these cars in such a pristine condition .I wonder if your old car has been rebuilt or just simply scrapped ?

it went for a mare 150 pounds, the guy said he wanted the engine since i got it working, But i think he decided to rebuild the body work too.

It was a very nice car to lounge in, it had cream leather seats, and that old car smell. I was so happy when i got the engine going,..

Soldato
mmm... Large Format. One day I will get myself a 5x4 or 10x8 camera.:)

I highly recommend you dont. Its might be fun for a bit but in my experience there irratatingly impractical. Collectors items maybe, loading the film in a complete darkness and keeping the darkslides sealed is a nightmare, and the poor upside down viewfinder are impossible to focus in daylight or if you dont have a magnifier even worse. Then you have to deal with the scheimpflug principle, reprocicity failure, and tilt shift. If depth of field confused you, lol.
On the plus though, if you can be bothered and understand the principles, then the quality is insane.

Last edited:
Soldato
I highly recommend you dont. Its might be fun for a bit but in my experience there irratatingly impractical. Collectors items maybe, loading the film in a complete darkness and keeping the darkslides sealed is a nightmare, and the poor upside down viewfinder are impossible to focus in daylight or if you dont have a magnifier even worse. Then you have to deal with the scheimpflug principle, reprocicity failure, and tilt shift. If depth of field confused you, lol.
On the plus though, if you can be bothered and understand the principles, then the quality is insane.

Im perfectly aware of their complexity, and this to a certain degree is one of the things that draws me to them. But ultimately I want to be able to print BIG (Think feet rather than inches) prints, including contact prints, so large format is the only way I could ever get the quality needed without making massive panoramas.

Associate
Yeah thats a 5x4, had to use it to do some interior architecture and still life shots for College. Bit of a beast and some of the exposure times can be long if you want everything sharp but it's great when you can project a image on the wall from the neg and it's still pretty sharp! Tilt n shift is quite good on it tho.

f64 anyone haha

Soldato
OP
Gosh the process of it all,, i remember it all, I guess im lucky as my dads a Camera fan, His got all the developing goods for it too.
Loading the film up in to the slides doesnt take long as long, as you get used to it, Which again doesnt take long.

But the one annoying thing is that my dad only makes chemicals for developing once every 6 month or so, so thats when i use the camera. (havnt done it for the last year though).

Back
Top Bottom