• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU installation help

Associate
Got a quad core today and I'm trying to insert it into evga 680i motherboard - but it doesn't seem to be working properly.

I've aligned the notches correctly, but when it comes to fastening the lid it puts up quite a bit of resistance to the point where you're actually pressing quite hard to get it locked into place. is something wrong with the cpu/motherboard? I fastened it down the first time and attached the heatsink - computer boots up into bios screen but only shows cpu speed as 500MHz (83x6) even though it's a 3GHz processor.

I've read through different tutorials and videos and they don't mention having to press hard to get the cpu into place, nore did the videos shown any sign of force being used. on the attempt I got it to boot up I tried installing windows and all it did was just freeze up while copying files over.

help please? spent a fair bit on the components and don't want it all to go to waste because of something stupid.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I have to use quite a bit of pressure to close the catch on my P35 DS3P.

Providing the notches are lined up correctly, and the CPU is sitting flat, it will be fine.

As for low CPU speed, try clearing the CMOS.

And as for the failed Windows install, which memory do you have?

Soldato
Updating your bios to p30 seems to fix the incorrect cpu speed (even when the bios is showing it as incorrect, windows reports it correctly)

Have you checked you temps in the bios, may fail the windows install if your heatsink isn't installed correctly and your temps are too high causing a crash.. Could be a dodgy disk too, try cleaning it.

Associate
OP
got this info about 10 mins ago:

CPU: 41°C / 106°F
Board: 34°C / 93°F
MCP: 43°C / 109°C

CPU Core: 1.30V
CPU FSB: 1.19V

CPU Fan: 2934 RPM
Nforce Fan: 3639-4223 RPM

have tried the windows installation a mountain of times. all it get to is "starting windows setup" and then just hangs. almost every time I reboot the machine the monitor loses its signal, so it has to be restarted an additional 4-5 times to get the picture back just to see the startup info. have been fiddling around with this for about 7 hours now and still no closer than I was when I started.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Are you trying to install Vista or XP?

If it's Vista then remove one stick and try again.

Vistas installer sometimes doesn't like 4gb for some unknown reason. You can reinsert the stick after the install has finished if it works.

Associate
OP
tried both vista & XP 64 bit and freezes on both. Is there a way I can re-format the drive without having to go into the OS installation first?

Associate
OP
Attached the HDD to my current computer yesterday - recognized it and managed to re-format it. was hoping that I'd be able to install 64bit XP from here but the CPU checker won't let me because I'm not running on a 64bit cpu. after format I can manage to get to the install section where it copies over the files but the DVD drive just stops spinning. first it was on drwatsn2.exe, and now it's an early .dll file (about 2% into installation).

On top of that POST is now only showing my CPU as having 2 cores, whereas before it acknowledged all 4. Will reformat the hard drive again and try hooking up different DVD drive and see if that gets me anywhere. I'll give up after today and take it into a shop and they can sort it. I just don't understand how a system with brand new components can fail first time with no obvious reason.

where can I download the latest bios/drivers etc? would prefer it on CD as I'm having to swap the floppy disk between systems.

Associate
OP
Bios update has fixed everything. It's astounding how much trouble an outdated bios can be. Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it very much.

Back
Top Bottom