Mac Book Pro with windows

Man of Honour
Soldato
Does it reboot and run windows properly or is it a bit lame?
Yeah, all Boot Camp is is a package that guides you through partitioning and then burns you a CD of Windows drivers you'll need once you install. It works with Linux as well. If you don't need hardware acceleration of video then perhaps a VM would be more suited for you. Parallels is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
so how doe parallels work - does it just run simultaneous Os's?

Runs Windows/Linux within OS X.

You can have it full screen or a small screen off to the side. It works pretty flawlessly although 2GB of RAM really is a minimum for decent performance.

Man of Honour
Soldato
ok...
if i were to buy a mac book pro, it only has 2g ram. will that only be a bare minimum?
A bare minimum for what? Running Parallels? Yeah, I'd say so. You'll have the RAM consumption of your system plus the RAM used by the virtual system as well. If you're talking about capacity IIRC the MBP can take up to 4 GiB RAM.

Associate
OP
no i reckon that most of the software, eg cad systems (i'll be learning the basics of c++), and other such software like applications that draw 3-d graphs etc will only be available on win/linux. i have emailed my department to ask if the software is available to mac systems, but i am pretty sure the answer will be no

Soldato
If you do need to run Windows, then the option of dual booting or running a VM are there then. If it's going to be something very RAM intensive, I'd suggest the dual boot so that it gets the full share of system resources rather than sticking more RAM in to try and compensate.

When you're doing work, Windows and when mixing music, OS X :)

Associate
OP
If you do need to run Windows, then the option of dual booting or running a VM are there then. If it's going to be something very RAM intensive, I'd suggest the dual boot so that it gets the full share of system resources rather than sticking more RAM in to try and compensate.

When you're doing work, Windows and when mixing music, OS X :)

thanks
so i wont have too much trouble making my mac book a dual/triple boot system when i get it?

Back
Top Bottom