NO-CD Cracks - Illegal?

Soldato
Keep the thread clean please!

Just wondered this in general. I hate having to get the disc every time I want to play a game, also i've found a couple of my games have damaged discs - they'll install, but crash ingame. I consider cracking games perfectly fine if you own it anyway, it's hardly stealing! :p

Thoughts? :)

Soldato
Cracks are illegal because they not only make changes to the code in the .exe file, they also bypass copy protection. I think that copy protection laws need a reform, but that's how it is now.

Permabanned
NoCDs are grey area, Gamecopyworld gives them out, but if you mention crack/serial or Warez you get banned.

Gamejackal from Slysoft can let some games run without need for CD/DVD also.

I do not want a CD/DVD in Rom Drives all the time, not even for damage to media side of it just for PIA side of it, a few game vendors later remove with patches like Quake 4 and BioShock soon.

Permabanned
If the game doesn't work...you take measures into your own hands to get it to work. Not only do users not be forced into keeping CD in the drive, but also securerom and other anti-copy protection methods cause problems, also if you have virtual drives it'll kick a fuss.

Associate
I remember BFG used to put a disk in with there Graphics cards 1 or 2 years ago which let you play your games without needing the disc in can't remember what it was and if they got in trouble for it or not.

I think if you own the software and use the No CD tweaks then it maybe frowned apon by the games companies but they would'nt chase you to the courts over it.

Soldato
Well Slysoft also make AnyDVD/CloneDVD/CloneCD and dont seem to get into trouble.
Because, like VHS etc., those products have legitimate uses.

Cracks made by people and cracking groups in their spare time serve no legally legit purpose.

I thought it was only illegal if you didn't own the original copy of the game?
You're thinking of making a copy of the disc, in which case you're right.

This thread is different, it's about downloading and using cracks to bypass CD check etc. altogether.

Soldato
virtual drive have legitimate uses to be honest, so does using images of games, so that you dont scratch the disk, or incase you have an incompatible drive/broken drive.
im no fan of CD checks, they must cost companys a fair bit for securom/starforce etc, when its generally pretty easy to get past most(starforce was a bugger in its day wasnt it) really. Its always good when they release patches to get rid of the checks, as it is such an annoyance having my dvd-drive spin up and make a racket, and having to swap etc.

Soldato
I thought it was only illegal if you didn't own the original copy of the game?

nope that's wrong. it's because making these no cd cracks, you have to reverse engineer the game code. this is always specifically mentioned as against the eula.

however, that won't stop me using them. i look at these issues morally. i've bought and paid for the game. therefore i shall do pretty much whatever i want to make my life easier. :D

and there's one game i own that is unplayable unless you use a no-cd crack. it came out nearly a year ago and there is still no official fix. i'm talking about pro evo 6. it's simply unplayable if you don't patch it.

Soldato
If its supposedly legal to make a copy of the disc you own then its usually pointless as the copy protection won't transfer over if my attempt is anything to go by & I still had to use a no CD to make it run

Back
Top Bottom