Chinese Man Dies After 3 Days of Online Gaming..

Soldato
BEIJING — A man in southern China appears to have died of exhaustion after a three-day Internet gaming binge, state media said Monday.

The 30-year-old man fainted at a cybercafe in the city of Guangzhou on Saturday afternoon after he had been playing games online for three days, the Beijing News reported.

Paramedics tried to revive him but failed and he was declared dead at the cafe, it said. The paper said that he may have died from exhaustion brought on by too many hours on the Internet.

The report did not say what the man, whose name was not given, was playing.The report said that about 100 other Web surfers "left the cafe in fear after witnessing the man's death."

China has 140 million Internet users, second only to the United States. It is one of the world's biggest markets for online games, with tens of millions of players, many of whom hunker down for hours in front of PCs in public Internet cafes.

Several cities have clinics to treat what psychiatrists have dubbed "Internet addiction" in users, many of them children and teenagers, who play online games or surf the Web for days at a time.

The longest I played online was 13hrs on Phantasy Star.

Associate
Have to admit, spent many an hour online playing games, but there is NO WAY i could stay awake for 3 days playing a game... Damn thats hardcore... :(

Most i spent i one session was prolly 36 hours in one go on the 1st Dungeon Siege game, was well knackered afterwards, eyes were stinging like mad, really need to get a TFT screen... :)

Associate
Even 3 days is a bit much, i could do 16 hours on a saturday then sunday and weekdays would be 1-2 hours. that was when i was 16 few years back though.

I know what you mean, back in the day when Planetside was reasonably new when it was still a very popular game, We (my clan/outfit Xen of Onslaught) would do regular outfit assaults on Emerald (VS all the way) at 8pm EST untill like 2am EST, however being in the UK that would make it like 1am GMT to 7am GMT or whatever it was, This used to be a real killer but many a time i have done this and it was a lot of fun.

Ive also done it a good few times raiding in WoW, play on the US servers still with the same clan but ive pretty much stopped playing WoW as it is, waiting for Huxley and Crysis, going to be getting into them both as an organized unit and can't friggin wait. Not so much for a 3 day binge though... extreme is an understatement

Associate
1 less gold farmer

Thats what Im thinking as well! To stay 30 hours in a row is at first place hardly possible just for the love of gaming. I have had cases when I am just about to start playing a game that I am really looking forward to only to stop it if I have to go to bed. Surely the newly created thirst to play it will keep me a few hours longer(thus going to bed way past 12pm) but there is a limit after which tiredness prevails.

In addition to that, with or without being a "gold farmer", Chinese players are normally not like us to be with drinks and/or food as reserve around the desk(read that the gold farmers get paid something like 12 cents/hour), in case they need them if they dont feel like stopping to eat, so Im guessing that this could have also played some role.

Soldato
just like the idiots running america trying to blame videogames for violence instead of looking at the real issues.

seems like not a month goes by some asian dies from hardcore gaming, props for passion i guess.

Back
Top Bottom