No connectivty for VMware image

Associate
You have an incorrect DNS server set on your VM image. You say its blank when doing an ipconfig? for some reason its not getting or apply a correct DHCP response. This is why you cannot add it to the domain, it cannot resolve "yourcompany.com" in order to communicate with it. Try set static IP settings including the primary/secondary dns server and then add it to the domain.

Maybe your admin added some funny authorisation to the DHCP server to only lease to domain devices :confused:

edit: paste a "ipconfig /all" dump here to be sure

Associate
OP
You have an incorrect DNS server set on your VM image. You say its blank when doing an ipconfig? for some reason its not getting or apply a correct DHCP response. This is why you cannot add it to the domain, it cannot resolve "yourcompany.com" in order to communicate with it. Try set static IP settings including the primary/secondary dns server and then add it to the domain.

Maybe your admin added some funny authorisation to the DHCP server to only lease to domain devices :confused:

edit: paste a "ipconfig /all" dump here to be sure

Here's an "ipconfig /all" dump from the VM:
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : vm-xp
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : yourcompany.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : yourcompany.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-D0-93-72
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.1.103
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.10.90
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.10.90
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.25.10.90
        Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.25.1.78
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 18 September 2007 16:53:04
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 September 2007 16:53:04

And here's one from the server:
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : servername
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : yourcompany.com
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : yourcompany.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-E5-3A-8E
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.10.122
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.1.78

I've noticed DHCP is not enabled on the server! Is this the problem? If so how do I enable it? Should I still try to set static IP settings including the primary/secondary dns server and then add it to the domain?

Associate
Ok i was a bit wrong, its getting a correct DHCP lease.

Your server should be on static not DHCP, most critical network devices are statically assigned.

The problem is abit strange now, it appears to be getting the correct DNS servers (1 matches that of the VM server) but its not getting a reply from it for DNS lookups. You say you can resolve external sites from the host however such as google.com, which would suggest it is working correctly as its forwarding the request onto an authoritative dns server

Soldato
try and configure the vm manually so the dns server addresses match the server. i see no reason for them to be different. obviously whoever setup that dhcp scope might beg to differ.... :p

Associate
OP
try and configure the vm manually so the dns server addresses match the server. i see no reason for them to be different. obviously whoever setup that dhcp scope might beg to differ.... :p
Just set the vm to have static ip and the dns server addresses now match the server, but the domain admin still can't add the machine to the domain!! I'm reaching the end of my tether with this!!

Soldato
Just set the vm to have static ip and the dns server addresses now match the server, but the domain admin still can't add the machine to the domain!! I'm reaching the end of my tether with this!!

but nslookup should now work ok and show the same default server? or not.....

is the ip address in the same sort of range as the working server/pcs around you?

Associate
OP
but nslookup should now work ok and show the same default server? or not.....

is the ip address in the same sort of range as the working server/pcs around you?

The nslookup command is still not working on the vm. Although the ip address of the vm is 172.25.1.103 whereas the server is 172.25.10.122, so that's a different range right? How can I find a free IP address in the 172.25.10 range so that I can assign it to the vm?

Soldato
The nslookup command is still not working on the vm. Although the ip address of the vm is 172.25.1.103 whereas the server is 172.25.10.122, so that's a different range right? How can I find a free IP address in the 172.25.10 range so that I can assign it to the vm?

that ip should be fine. :confused:

can try the image on another host? you can get vmware server or vmware player as a free download and install it on a normal windows pc and copy the image across.

Associate
OP
can try the image on another host? you can get vmware server or vmware player as a free download and install it on a normal windows pc and copy the image across.
Ok, I can run the VM within VMplayer on my local machine and it can successfully connect to the network, internet etc!! So therefore it must be the server then, right? The server is running the latest version of VMware server if this is helpful to you.

Soldato
Ok, I can run the VM within VMplayer on my local machine and it can successfully connect to the network, internet etc!! So therefore it must be the server then, right? The server is running the latest version of VMware server if this is helpful to you.

don't know what the problem is... :p

might be some sort of restrictions in place on the server? a firewall or something. can it not wait until the admin gets back? :)

Associate
OP
don't know what the problem is... :p

might be some sort of restrictions in place on the server? a firewall or something. can it not wait until the admin gets back? :)
He is back! And he doesn't know what the problem is either!! Anyway marc, thanks for all of your help on this, it was much appreciated. If I get it sorted I'll update this thread.

Back
Top Bottom