Am I making the right decision?

Associate
Hi all,

Last Chrismas I bought a Sony H5. I've been into photography for years, but not seriously. I thought this prosumer or bridge camera would be the best for me as it gave me some of the advantages of a DSLR with manual settings, a good lens and manual focus. I have very much enjoyed using it, and don't regret it bar the awful battery life.

Anyway, I am thinking of selling the camera now, to help fund a DSLR. I can't afford to keep both, so it has to be a one or the other situation. As DSLR's are so much more expensive, I was thinking at looking at a Canon 400D or perhaps a 30D second hand. £500 is really the max budget, and I'd like a lens to start with!

I believe that going to a DSLR will be advantageous as I'll be able to shoot raw, purchase other len's and use more advanced functions. I realise I will lose features such as image stabalisation.

I've been told by other's that the cross over isn't worth it, but I think it is. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing as I'm sure a DSLR is an expensive piece of equipment for most people!

Associate
If you're sure you want to spend the money, and you feel the sony is limiting you (battery life, RAW etc) then do it! I'm about to buy either a 30D or 40D as I'm finding the 400D limiting now...even though it is an excellent camera and will make a good backup camera for me!

Associate
Yeah go for it. I'm about to get a Nikon 40D & I am a complete novice. Currently using a compact IXUS 700 but me & wife have always fancied getting more into photography so have decieded to go for it. It seems that a DSLR holds value pretty well so if we dont get on it with it we can always sell it on

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I will definately go for the DSLR. Is there any chance you can get a second hand 40D for £500 - £600, even though they are fairly new. Just trying my luck :p Don't want anyone to post anything of course, just wondering if it is possible.

Caporegime
Hi all,

Last Chrismas I bought a Sony H5. I've been into photography for years, but not seriously. I thought this prosumer or bridge camera would be the best for me as it gave me some of the advantages of a DSLR with manual settings, a good lens and manual focus. I have very much enjoyed using it, and don't regret it bar the awful battery life.

Anyway, I am thinking of selling the camera now, to help fund a DSLR. I can't afford to keep both, so it has to be a one or the other situation. As DSLR's are so much more expensive, I was thinking at looking at a Canon 400D or perhaps a 30D second hand. £500 is really the max budget, and I'd like a lens to start with!

I believe that going to a DSLR will be advantageous as I'll be able to shoot raw, purchase other len's and use more advanced functions. I realise I will lose features such as image stabalisation.

I've been told by other's that the cross over isn't worth it, but I think it is. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing as I'm sure a DSLR is an expensive piece of equipment for most people!

i would really consider your budget closely. Camera body should be around 1/5th of the total camera system., At 1/3rd you are budgeting on lenses. The camera body can seem cheap compared to nice lenses.

When you factor in bags, light weight tripods, heavyweight sturdy tripods, external flash, CF cards, software, filters, batteries, cleaning kits, etc, etc. You will easily outspend your camer body without buying a single lens.
a 70-200mm IS will outlast and outprice your camera body.

Set 2K aside for the next 2-3 years of camera purchasing.

Associate
OP
you've got about 0.0000001% chance of getting a used 40D yet :D

Lol, yup, just thought I'd try. Maybe wait 2 years :p .

i would really consider your budget closely. Camera body should be around 1/5th of the total camera system., At 1/3rd you are budgeting on lenses. The camera body can seem cheap compared to nice lenses.

When you factor in bags, light weight tripods, heavyweight sturdy tripods, external flash, CF cards, software, filters, batteries, cleaning kits, etc, etc. You will easily outspend your camer body without buying a single lens.
a 70-200mm IS will outlast and outprice your camera body.

Set 2K aside for the next 2-3 years of camera purchasing.

Thanks for the advice D.P. So I guess your suggesting I go for a 400D and concentrate on the other equipement which I will be able to move over to a more expensive body, when / if I need one in the future? For my budget, do you think I will be able to find a second hand 400D or 30D (at a push, if you think it is worth it) with some equipment that will at least get me started?

Have have 3 tripods already, which I was fortunate enough to get, bags are also not a problem (although I don't have a bespoke bag for the 400D / 30D of course) and I am using Photoshop CS3 atm.

Soldato
I really think the only reason not to get a Dslr these days is size.

I just read an interview with one (or possibly THE) head chap from the Canon lot. He was actually pointing out that the price gap is slightly wonky at the moment, with the "P&S" cameras being very expensive, and for £50 more you can get a DSLR. The only difference is, with the smaller cameras they're having to cram more features in to appeal to the consumer. With the bigger DSLRs the main difference, as you say, is size (and obviously the better quality, equipment,etc).

Soldato
Lol, yup, just thought I'd try. Maybe wait 2 years :p .

Thanks for the advice D.P. So I guess your suggesting I go for a 400D and concentrate on the other equipement which I will be able to move over to a more expensive body, when / if I need one in the future? For my budget, do you think I will be able to find a second hand 400D or 30D (at a push, if you think it is worth it) with some equipment that will at least get me started?

Have have 3 tripods already, which I was fortunate enough to get, bags are also not a problem (although I don't have a bespoke bag for the 400D / 30D of course) and I am using Photoshop CS3 atm.

In My opinion, i would forget the 400D if you can afford a 30D, you are looking at an extra £100 on top of the 400D price maybe, but well worth it, you get a much tougher camera which is better in almost every way than the 400D, which in itself is a very good camera, i thnik if you take photography seriously you'll soon find the 400D limiting you and want to get a better body. The 30D is more of an enthusiast/ semi pro body so won't have you wanting to upgrade anytime soon - unless you turn pro. Have a look at dedicated photography forums' classified sections, especially 'photography on the net' (canon dedicated forum), as they have a very active classified section.

Associate
OP
In My opinion, i would forget the 400D if you can afford a 30D, you are looking at an extra £100 on top of the 400D price maybe, but well worth it, you get a much tougher camera which is better in almost every way than the 400D, which in itself is a very good camera, i thnik if you take photography seriously you'll soon find the 400D limiting you and want to get a better body. The 30D is more of an enthusiast/ semi pro body so won't have you wanting to upgrade anytime soon - unless you turn pro. Have a look at dedicated photography forums' classified sections, especially 'photography on the net' (canon dedicated forum), as they have a very active classified section.

Thanks for your advice Wez, I think I'll get myself a second hand 30D and spend the rest of the money on a lens. I'll be hosting a site this year and look forward to sharing some of my photo's with the forum.

Back
Top Bottom