Ghost In The Shell - Anime

Associate
Hey guys, anyone watched this series???

Im wanting to buy the whole series but am unsure in what order they run in...bit confusing.

I would prefer to buy them in box sets as you can save a fortune.

I have found Ghost In The Shell: SAC 2nd Gig! Complete Box Set (7 Discs) so there must be a Ghost In The Shell: SAC 1st Gig! Complete Box Set?????

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Nice one, found it! They do the very first 2 films in a twin set, orderdd them plus the 1st Gig.

Looking forward to watching these.

Man of Honour
Awesome films/series.

I'd personally watch them in this Order, in case you have not seen everything already.

Ghost in the Shell [Original Movie]
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [Movie]
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig [Series 1]
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig [Series 2]
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society [Movie of Stand Alone Complex]

*Noting Stand Alone Complex & Solid State Society are set in an alternate timeline to the original movie & sequel, as it can be a little confusing otherwise!

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome films/series.

I'd personally watch them in this Order, in case you have not seen everything already.

*Noting Stand Alone Complex & Solid State Society are set in an alternate timeline to the original movie & sequel, as it can be a little confusing otherwise!

I would watch it in this order:

Commissario
Just to complicate things a bit further...I would read the manga first :p

Otherwise it doesn't really matter, as long as you watched first series, second series and then SSS (you can watch the films before/after/inbetween).

Soldato
I would watch it in this order:

Why Innocence between the 2 Gigs?

The manga are excellent.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys, thats just what im after :) I will be buying the whole series and need to know what order to watch them in.

I have found all the films you have listed for sale so it looks like im in luck.

Man of Honour
I watched this film last night. It was pretty entertaining, but... wow, what a crap, crap ending!

It reminded me of the Matrix Reloaded architect scene during the conversation with the 'puppet master' - I had to turn my brain off during that cringeworthy dialogue.

I would recommend to anybody else that watches to watch with subtitles as the dubbing was horrificly delivered.

3/5

Soldato
I watched this film last night. It was pretty entertaining, but... wow, what a crap, crap ending!

It reminded me of the Matrix Reloaded architect scene during the conversation with the 'puppet master' - I had to turn my brain off during that cringeworthy dialogue.

I would recommend to anybody else that watches to watch with subtitles as the dubbing was horrificly delivered.

3/5

bump old threads much? :D

Soldato
Awesome films/series.

To be frank i wouldn't bother with Innocence or Solid State Society

Innocence looks lush but boring and crap story, Solid State Society is just a storyline from the 1 GIG spliced together, so if you have the first season then you'll be doubling up

I'm just waiting for the Blu-ray releases of the original movie and the 1st and 2nd gig

Associate
From wiki -

1991 Kuril Islands

* Russia returned four Kuril Islands (including Etorofu/Iturup) to Japan.

2000–2015 World War III

* World War III was a nuclear war, occurring sometime between 2000 and 2015 (in episode "DU - 33" it is suggested that the war ended sometime around 2002). While very little is still revealed about the events that occurred to cause the war, evidence shows that the war started from a series of nuclear exchanges across Eurasia.
* Nuclear bombing of Tokyo: The seat of government was temporarily transferred to Niihama (Kobe) before permanent relocation to Fukuoka, Kyūshū. Central Tokyo was submerged under water.
* Nuclear bombing of Okinawa
* Nuclear bombing of Berlin, capital of Germany.

2015 Development of the "Japanese Miracle"

* Japan remained passive while the war went on, until the city of Tokyo was destroyed by a nuclear blast, and even then, only became involved with the war in the background, never committing the Japan Self-Defense Forces to actual combat. By the end of the war, several of the world's powers had fallen. Virtually the only unaffected power left in the world was Japan, because the damage from the war was minimized by the "Japanese Miracle," a swarm of micromachines capable of removing radiation from the environment. The arrival of the Japanese Miracle is said to have contributed to America's waning power; since nuclear fallout could now be mitigated, American nuclear weapons were no longer as powerful.

Rise of the American Empire

* After World War III ended, the American Empire had become an imperialist government, in an attempt to regain world power by conquering new areas in North and South America. Due to a battered economy and weak political position, the American Empire entered into a security pact with Japan. The pact reaffirms Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution in prohibiting Japan from both deploying its army overseas and possessing nuclear weapons.

2015–2024 World War IV (Second Vietnam War)

* The Second Vietnam War, as its name suggests, was centered around the Siam Peninsula. However, while the conflict started in the region around Vietnam, countries around the world were still reeling in internal conflict after the last World War. By the summer of 2020, Europe and Asia were deadlocked in a futile war of attrition.
* Japan had moved toward punitive isolationist policies while internally it found a strange political balance after World War III.
* Recapturing of Nemuro. The Umibozu became known locally and internationally for their tactics and their skills in the successful recapture of the port city.

2020 Mexican War and South American campaign Episode 14

* The American Empire called for the deployment of UN troops, under the pretext of overthrowing the corrupt Mexican and other South American governments. Through carpet-bombing, mechanized troops, and wartime atrocities (see 1st GIG, episode jungle cruise), the combined UN forces moved through the regions to sweep up the remaining guerrillas.
* During this time, hundreds of mercenary groups surface throughout the war-torn Central and South American regions, populated by the remnants of armies once connected to nations that no longer exist. Also during this time, there were several unofficial operations that involved Japanese UN troops.

2024 The Peninsular War (Second Korean War) Episode 16

* Civil war broke out in the peninsula leading to unification.
* American Empire called for troop deployment under the name of the UN to stabilize fighting within the peninsula.
* Japan deployed UN peacekeepers in the relatively safe area of Shinuiju.
* The remaining soldiers of the People's Army surrendered to the UN forces.

2024 The Laughing Man incident

* Echoing the Glico Morinaga case and political corruption scandals of the 1980s.

2029 Formation of Section 9

2030 SAC storyline begins[4]

2031 Section 9 officially disbanded

* Section 9 disbanded
* Formation of Kayabuki Cabinet after general election
* Secretary General Yakushima arrested
* June 9: Tachikoma AI satellite launched
* Section 9 re-forms, never actually having been disbanded in the first place

2032 2nd GIG storyline begins[5]

* Between the events of 2nd GIG and Solid State Society, Major Kusanagi resigns from Section 9.

2034 Events of Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society take place

Soldato
To be frank i wouldn't bother with Innocence or Solid State Society

Innocence looks lush but boring and crap story, Solid State Society is just a storyline from the 1 GIG spliced together, so if you have the first season then you'll be doubling up

I'm just waiting for the Blu-ray releases of the original movie and the 1st and 2nd gig

I would disagree with your statements regarding Solid State Society, it is not the story line from SAC 1st Gig at all and is set after the two series.
There are two "film" releases The Laughing Man and The Individual Eleven which are the first and second series condensed down into a film format.

I agree that Innocence is style over substance though.

The first Ghost in the Shell film does look good on Blu-ray :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom