How to get my invention idea started ?!

Soldato
My mate at work invented the "idea" of the Ipod when we were teenagers.. :o
Always a sore point when you mention it. :D

Hehe, given that the idea of a portable mp3 player isn't actually patented. Unless he invented the VERY same design we've come to know of Apple's Ipods then I don't think he has much to regret.

Bringing a decent MP3 player to market cost A LOT of money for Apple.

Associate
It's to prove you came up with it first if someone else comes up with the same idea (or steals it off you). It's not related to getting the patent itself.

That will only be of use in the States where there is a first to invent system and then only if you are actually trying to make the concieved invention work.

Almost everywhere else including the UK, there is a first to file regime where in order to get the patent you have to actually file the application first.

Man of Honour
As others have said, the route I would take is patent it, then sell it to one of the big stores/manufactures if it is a really big thing. If it's not such a big thing, china workshop. Then create a website to sale.

Soldato
That will only be of use in the States where there is a first to invent system and then only if you are actually trying to make the concieved invention work.

Almost everywhere else including the UK, there is a first to file regime where in order to get the patent you have to actually file the application first.

Oh right. Maybe whoever told me that was talking about the States.

Soldato
About 6 years ago I thought of an idea of a stand alone Petrol Pump which you Pay with credit card / no need to go into the Garage. Now it seems they're everywhere.

So get it patented!

are they??? where?

i had this great idea for a toy, with a piece of string and you throw it up and down and it it spins.... its still at the early stages but i think i've got something.

Man of Honour
Remember - you cant patent an Idea, ideas are the property of society. So for example someone couldn't say: "I've got the patent on bins". Instead designs get patented, so you could patent a clever new design for a bin, but not a bin itself.

Make sense?

Yep, it's like the dyson hoovers. You can't patent cyclone hoovers, so what you do is patent as many unique parts of the machine as you can.

Soldato
About 6 years ago I thought of an idea of a stand alone Petrol Pump which you Pay with credit card / no need to go into the Garage. Now it seems they're everywhere.

So get it patented!
If you mean the "fast pump" types that you see on forecourts or in some supermarkets, then I saw those on the continent in the late 90's so I don't think you'd have been able to retire and live off your earnings anyway. I've got a photo of me stood by my car near one that dates back to when I was working in the south of France in '99.

Hope that's some consolation for you :)

Back
Top Bottom