Convert to NTFS?

Permabanned
I have a lapto that is failing to boot due to agpCPQ.sys

I have done some searching ont he problem and the best way of solving is to convert the disk from FAT32 to NTFS.

However the machine doesnt boot so how can I do it?

I have made a bartPE boot disk and used that, but when I runt he convert command it says:

"cannot convert FAT32 volume"

Any ideas?

Associate
if you can access the files on the HHD then it may be a problem with the convert process. I would advice copying files to another HDD and reformating.
if you cannot access files on the HDD then the HDD may be corrupt and you will need a reformat.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the advice, however I would really rather solve the issue if possible rather than format and re-install.

I have found that it is because I am trying to do it through BartPE that it is not working with the convert program?

So can anyone think of another way to get this thing converted to NTFS (it has no floppy disk drive).

Permabanned
OP
Which is what I atrying to do.

however the lapto is having problems starting either in normal mode or safe mode.

It hangs when it gets to agpCQP.sys

After much looking around it appears that converting the HD from FAT32 to NTFS will solve the issue.

How do I convert it without being able to load windows or safe mode windows?

Tried with BartPE disk and it wont do it that way. so am out of ideas.

Permabanned
Take out HD, fit into a USB2 enclosure, copy data across on other PC.
Don't mess around with converting on a faulty drive, unless you want to lose your data. Fit HD back in, fresh install, with re-partition to NTFS, long format. If it fails or halts during format chuck drive away.

Permabanned
OP
That is the full error, however due to time constraints I have been forced to format and re-install :/ User needs the machine back before the end of the day and it's 15:30 now :(

The error with the convert though was due to me only being able to get as far as running the convert command when using the BartPE CD, which then makes it so you cant run convert on the disk.

I found a post with the same problem when trying to convert a usb key to NTFS that they discovered was due to it not being afixed disk.

Back
Top Bottom