Lapped q6600 & Ultima 90i +2p

Associate
After reading many threads about HSU/OC/Vcore/mods etc I decided to remove my Ultima 90i (already lapped) and do the 2p mod and lap my CPU.

The 2p mod is simple a copper coin is placed underneath the Ultima 90i cross brace, this allows the screw bolts to be tightened further than normal. Many people, myself included have been unhappy with the amount of movement the Ultima 90i fit kit provides - the 2p mod to some extent helps.

Below are pictures of my Antec Sonata 3 case with an Abit IP35 Pro/XFX 8800 GTS oc/Corsair pc8500 1066mhz ram & a few silent fans. Lastly the Ultima 90i with a 120mm Scythe mounted to an Intel Q6600 Go.

Without the 2p mod and lapped CPU my idle temps on 9x356 (3.204ghz) my idle temps were 49/50c. At the moment idle is 45c. I believe this should get even lower after the Arctic 5 has cured.......

Temperatures accross the four cores are more uniform than before, (before there was a 4/5c difference between the cores); now temp Core 1 @ 42; Core 2 @ 42; Core 3 @ 40 & Core 4 @ 42 - they appear to be holding a better temp.

Associate
OP
how much movement of the heatsink did you get before and is it better now? mine moves a bit but not easily.

A fair bit of movement before luckily it's much better with the mod! It takes quite a lot more effort to move HSU.

One other aspect about the 2p mod, if anyone wants to try this drill a small hole through the centre of the 2p coin so that the HSU brace can bite onto it. :)

For those that dont know the HSU brace has a raised peak that sits into the main HSU, by drillilng a hole this allows the peak to hold firm.

Thanks for the comments!

Associate
A fair bit of movement before luckily it's much better with the mod! It takes quite a lot more effort to move HSU.

One other aspect about the 2p mod, if anyone wants to try this drill a small hole through the centre of the 2p coin so that the HSU brace can bite onto it. :)

For those that dont know the HSU brace has a raised peak that sits into the main HSU, by drillilng a hole this allows the peak to hold firm.

Thanks for the comments!

So I guess a large washer (2p size ?) would do the job and comes with a free hole!?

Only guessing! I have settled on this for my next Heatsink because the TRUE is too heavy for my liking and the Ultima 90 gives very good cooling.

Back
Top Bottom