Mate wants Cayenne - opinions?

Soldato
A friend of mine, who is within a month of passing his test, has made his mind up that after getting a year's NCD on a "banger" (hes considering '98 models A3s, Chrysler Voyagers and Vauxhall Tigras...), he is going to go and get a Porsche Cayenne as soon as he has completed 1 year of Full License motoring.

He asked me for advice (car n00b, but loves the Cayenne looks) and after reading up on it, I find that at least the V8 engine sounds rather interesting, but is it meaty enough to do anything useful with the Cayenne? On the plus side, they seem robust, whatcar reckons not a lot has gone wrong with them so far.

What do you know about the Cayenne, and do you think its a good 2nd car, within ** 2nd year of driving?

Soldato
Stupid car IMO.

Looks pooh
Doesnt better a 911 in any way.
Though it MAY be ok off road, would an owner really take it off road ? And if hes going to, whys he buying a Cayenne, when a Range Rover would be a better choice.

If hes that rich, and a Cayenne appeals, a 911 would be a better choice IMO.

Seems to me it's one of those stupidly useless cars, like the Rover 200 Offroader thing, or the Audi "Allroad" :s No advantages over the car its based on, but its worse and more expensive.

On another note, wouldnt a mid performance "go between" be a better option with only 1 years experience ?

Soldato
OP
, but its worse and more expensive.

Actually, the Cayenne is surprisingly cheap (comparatively!!), you can pick up 2003 models for £25k, and new ones go for between £38k and, well, sky's the limit :p

Hes totally into its looks tho, thinks it looks better than the 911, which every man and his dog seem to have these days (I keep telling him they are Boxters, but he thinks they are the same :confused: )

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Nice cars, cant comment on the drive but i can imagine exactly what it will be like from other 4x4 experiences.

I'd have one like a shot if i could afford to have one as a second car, they are the best luxury 4x4's on the market. Great value for money now too.

Insurance will be very high, but thats his issue, i will assume he has checked that. Fuel consumption will be on par with other large powerful vehicles, should clear 20mpg on a run so not that bad.

Soldato
Ugly and pointless.
If you want ugly and pointless, buy the Volkswagen Touareg with its enormous diesel engine and save a bit of cash.

Soldato
Oh come on people, the Cayenne isn't comparable to a 911, it's up against the Ranger Rover.

Personaly I think it's about the most horrible car ever made and if your mate buys one he'll never be let out of a side turning (ever).

With massive alloys and low profile tyres it's rubbish off road which makes it's completely pointless unless you want a vehicle with a flash badge that lets you look over people hedges (maybe he should consider a Mercedes Sprinter).

Book him a test drive in a 5 series.

Caporegime
Oh come on people, the Cayenne isn't comparable to a 911, it's up against the Ranger Rover.

Personaly I think it's about the most horrible car ever made and if your mate buys one he'll never be let out of a side turning (ever).

With massive alloys and low profile tyres it's rubbish off road which makes it's completely pointless unless you want a vehicle with a flash badge that lets you look over people hedges (maybe he should consider a Mercedes Sprinter).

Book him a test drive in a 5 series.

Spoken for truth !! :D:D;)

Associate
They are awesome beasts. A mate has the turbo s model and it's stupidly fast!

The point of them is that you can have a porsche and still get the family in as well.

Permabanned
Not only is it a SUV, it tries to be a sports car. A total failure..either buy a 911, or a Land Rover.

Is he a housewife?

olv

olv

Soldato
Can i just confirm are we talking Cayenne or Cayman? As you keep telling him they are boxsters which a cayenne clearly isn't but a cayman nearly is.

Associate
Can i just confirm are we talking Cayenne or Cayman? As you keep telling him they are boxsters which a cayenne clearly isn't but a cayman nearly is.
He must be talking about the Cayenne, he mentioned the V8 engine in the original post.

How old is this guy?

Permabanned
It does 0-62 in 5.1 seconds. Beats quite a few sports cars.

A dragster has low times too. Your point is?...
I'd like to see track times, and if it lurches around tracks, how it performs off-road.

Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind.

olv

olv

Soldato
He must be talking about the Cayenne, he mentioned the V8 engine in the original post.

How old is this guy?

Yeah but he also mentioned that it's just like like a boxster. much easier to imagine that a cayman has a v8 rather then a flat 6 rather then completely confuse type of car?

Associate
Yeah but he also mentioned that it's just like like a boxster. much easier to imagine that a cayman has a v8 rather then a flat 6 rather then completely confuse type of car?

I think the OP was saying that his mate thinks every man and his dog has 911's, when infact he is actually seeing a load of Boxsters. Nothing to do with confusing Cayennes and Boxters.

Back
Top Bottom