Pet Lizard?

Associate
Looking to get myself a pet lizard but not shore what one to go for.
First i looked at the Bearded Dragons but i really don't have the room
for one. So its a choice out of a Leopard Gecko or a Crestie. Just interested in what you guys have and maybe a few pics of there vivs so i can get some ideas on what to put in mine.

Thanks

dsb

dsb

Associate
Chameleons are not so easy to care for and can be very needy. I would say as first lizard you won’t go wrong with a leopard gecko, crested geckos are real nice as well, but for a beginner I would say a leopard gecko, make sure you read into there care needs and there are plenty of websites out there that will help and a vast amount of forums. But make sure this isn’t an impulse purchase I see to often, for sale, I got board.

Associate
OP
yeah ive been on a few forums and read loads of info on them. I really cant find many pics on vivarium setups to give me ideas on how to set it up.

dsb

dsb

Associate
just read the care sheet they will give you a good guide, or just post on one of the forums on how you should have it.

SIB

SIB

Associate
I used to keep Iguana's. They are great but do take a lot of looking after. If you want to bring them (or any lizard) out make sure you don't do it on the carpet as they have a tendancy to lose their toes due to getting the shag wrapped around them (not taliking from experience, i read it when i first started keeping them)

Soldato
IIRC Chameleons are difficult to keep. If you're just starting out, go for something like a Berber Skink or a Leopard Gecko. Obviously make sure you handle the animal before you buy it whatever you get, just to make sure it's in good condition and not totally savage.

I'd have a Berber myself, pretty bomb-proof. My friend had one once, and it was so daft. It would climb up onto your head and sit there for ages. Very friendly too. I'd have one if it wasn't for my cats. They're cheap to buy too, like Leopard Geckos.

/edit: Crested Geckos sound good too. Very cute!

Last edited:
Soldato
we've got a leopard gecko in our uni house and its awesome. They dont do too much when they're in their tank, just sit under logs and stuff. When you get them out though they are really fun. Pretty nervous about your touch and things at first but they let you stroke them and things pretty soon and they run onto your hand when you put it in the tank.

Cheap as well, I'd say go for it.

Chameleons are not so easy to care for and can be very needy. I would say as first lizard you won’t go wrong with a leopard gecko, crested geckos are real nice as well, but for a beginner I would say a leopard gecko, make sure you read into there care needs and there are plenty of websites out there that will help and a vast amount of forums. But make sure this isn’t an impulse purchase I see to often, for sale, I got board.

Whats so difficult about keeping them then? Dont believe everything you read on the care sheets!! My chameleon is as easy as my other lizards to look after.

Associate
Heads up on a lizard (well, speaking from experience of having a Beardie).

He is costing us around £60 a month, just to feed him. He eats locusts like no tomorrow. On top of this, you need to pay for the energy used on the high powered bulbs and vivarium deco etc.

Sorry to sound negative, but I read lots of guides etc but never took into account how much live feed was.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh, and if anyone is thinking of buying a lizard, I'm trying to shift a 2 wk old vivarium with all the accessories and deco.

Can I attempt to sell something like this on here?

Soldato
Heads up on a lizard (well, speaking from experience of having a Beardie).

He is costing us around £60 a month, just to feed him. He eats locusts like no tomorrow. On top of this, you need to pay for the energy used on the high powered bulbs and vivarium deco etc.

Sorry to sound negative, but I read lots of guides etc but never took into account how much live feed was.

£60 a month? You're paying way too much! How many locusts does it eat a week?

Edit: And electricity costs is one thing to think about, my Royal has a ceramic heater on 24 hours a day, it's on a pulse thermostat but I'm guessing that adds a fair bit to my electricity bill.

Last edited:
Associate
DONT buy a cham, there not 1st lizards and will more than likley die. If you want a lizard bigger than a gecko get a Bearded Dragon or any of the Agama species.
Very easy to look after and LOVE dandilions from your garden (ofc they still need crickets / locusts / mealworms / pinkies/fuzzies etc etc

Associate
where you from and how much?

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

vivarium.jpg

£105 o.n.o. and it's in perfect condition. Altogether, originally cost over £200.

Comes with:

- Heat lamp
- UV light
- Heat mat
- Bark cork wood
- Water bowl
- Wooden bridge
- Fake plant

Dimensions:

- Width 35.5 in / 91 cm
- Height 15 in / 38.5 cm
- Depth 15 in / 38.5 cm

DONT buy a cham, there not 1st lizards and will more than likley die. If you want a lizard bigger than a gecko get a Bearded Dragon or any of the Agama species.
Very easy to look after and LOVE dandilions from your garden (ofc they still need crickets / locusts / mealworms / pinkies/fuzzies etc etc

:confused: Ummm no they wont - do some research and it no harder than most lizards to care for.

Back
Top Bottom