Help a newbie out to buy a motherboard

Associate
Hi all,

I'm ready to purchase some new bits tomorrow for a new pc. Now ive already purchased the memory a few months ago and got the Crucial Ballistix 2GB 8500 and now wish to purchase a intel Q6600.

Now I had decided on buying the Abit IP35-Pro, but reading these forums someone mentioned the board doesn't support 1066 memory. Now obviously I would like a motherboard to be able to use this memory to the full as I want to overclock the cpu. Shall I go ahead and buy this motherboard or shall I look into something else which can use the memory to the full??

I was thinking of buying the a Gigabyte board possibly the DQ6, would this be a good board to overclock??

Stan..

Soldato
The IP35 pro is as good as any other P35 board,it's very unlikely you'll ever max your chosen ram if running a 1:1 overclock anyway,unless running a low multi,533x9=4797,if your Q6600 runs at that then you're either very lucky or have Phase cooling.

Last edited:

EDC

EDC

Associate
ive already purchased the memory a few months ago and got the Crucial Ballistix 2GB 8500
Now I had decided on buying the Abit IP35-Pro, but reading these forums someone mentioned the board doesn't support 1066 memory.
I was thinking of buying the a Gigabyte board possibly the DQ6, would this be a good board to overclock??

1066 MHz is not the official JEDEC standard for DDR2 memory and Abit always quote the official JEDEC standard of 800 MHz in their specs, which is what confuses some people.

The Abit IP35-Pro will run your Ballistix 8500's @ 1066 MHz or higher, and so will the Gigabyte DQ6. Both are capable overclockers. Choose the mobo with the features that best suit your needs.

-

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a P35C-DS3R and love it, but I have also heard fantastic things about the IP35-I guess its just what you want from a mobo that ought to make your decision!

Associate
OP
Right thanks all I think ive made my mind up and i'm going to Abit motherboard. It's got everything I need and I like the fact it's got a cmos reset switch at the back.

Thanks!

Stan..

Back
Top Bottom