Gigabyte DS3/DS4/DQ6 Guide

Soldato
Nah it doesn't have a wrong direction.

You're hitting Q6600 B3 stock temps there.

Before i swapped mobo i hardly getting that under load at 2.5.

Not sure what i've done. Maybe messed up the thermal paste :confused:

I put a little line of it down the middle of the cpu.

I think it's time i post some picture of my thermal paste on cpu :D

Here we go, have i done this right. I did put a little line down the middle of the cpu.

spa0139kd6.jpg

spa0140ol8.jpg

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
The contact looks pretty good, tho did you draw the line from right to left as we look at the bottom pic, or up and down as we look at the pic?

It should go across from the black end (on the right of the pic) like -

asjx0.jpg

Soldato
The contact looks pretty good, tho did you draw the line from right to left as we look at the bottom pic, or up and down as we look at the pic?

It should go across from the black end (on the right of the pic) like -

asjx0.jpg

I went the other way mate.

I just scrubed it all off the HSF and put some more on the cpu and smudged it all over the face myself with my finger.

Im now 40-42 idle at 2.5ghz, which i think was pretty much the same as before
:)

40-42 idle at 2.5 is better than 50-52c idle at 1.8 :) Looks like it was the thermal paste, wow it makes such a difference :eek:

untitledqb0.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't suppose anyone can tell me why my DS3/E6300/Geil value 2GB RAM setup keeps switching the CPU Host Clock Control from Enabled to Disabled?

Its OC'd to a tad over 3Ghz but after 3rd or 4th boot it reverts to 1.86Ghz and in the bios, the Clock Control is disabled.

Any ideas?

Associate
Don't suppose anyone can tell me why my DS3/E6300/Geil value 2GB RAM setup keeps switching the CPU Host Clock Control from Enabled to Disabled?

Its OC'd to a tad over 3Ghz but after 3rd or 4th boot it reverts to 1.86Ghz and in the bios, the Clock Control is disabled.

Any ideas?

I get the same:( Ive got Geil ULL tho, must be a Geil/DS3 problem :mad:

Associate
What bios for DS4 rev 1

What is the best bios to be running on my DS4 rev 1? What do poeple find is the best, I can't seem to get any speed upgrade with my rig?

And which bios upgrade path do poeple use, do you still use floppy route or under windows?

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know where I can find a good DS3P and 6300 overclocking guide? I found one before but have to reformat and lost it...Anyone know any others?

Associate
Yip it's a good overclocking board and it will run that memory fine.

Ok thanx. Will I need a CPU cooler, if I am not planning to OC for the time being? Also, I heard there are two versions 1.1 and 2.0 or w/e. Are there any differences in performance. I don't care about firewire.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Nah they'll be no difference in performance. They'll use the same BIOS.

And nope no aftermarket cooler will be needed til you decide to start overclocking.

Associate
Hi
A coupel of questions on the P35 DS3R

Does everyone get the 'pelase wait while we search for the SATA devices'? never had that on my boot up with previous mobos (ABIT, ASROCK) - its a bit annoying

Also that is on the INTEL SATA controller - how ocmes the board also has a Gigabyte controller (according to the manual) and is it worth using that one?

Also, I have oen SATA drive i have set up as ACHI - is this better than setting it up as a normal PATA one?

Finally, anyoen used that express rescue thing and is it any good?

Associate
I've downloaded the F6 BIOS from Gigabyte's site for my P35C-DS3R, but the executable is not compatible with 64-bit Windows. I can't see any mention of flashing under 64-bit Windows on Gigabytes site.

Anyone have a solution?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Try unpacking it with WinRAR or similar if it's possible, otherwise download it from here. Click the top Gigabyte link and select the BIOS from the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page.

Tho Gigabyte list F4 as the latest P35C-DS3R BIOS. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the P35-DS3R?

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, I did confuse it. I have now downloaded the F4 for the P35C-DS3R.

It is a self-extracting archive that gives the following files:

autoexec.bat
flash895.exe
p35cds3r.f4

Running the BAT or the EXE gives an error "the version of this file is not compatible with this version of windows".

If I burn to a disc does this become bootable or something? I don't think autoexec.bat is a bootable file normally.

Back
Top Bottom