ex smokers

Soldato
Hi,

I currently smoke around 20 a day have been doing for many years, Im 27 yrs old and really want to quit...

Just wondered how some of you ex smokers gave up?

When I think about why I smoke I come up with the following three reasons:-

a) for having that 1 - 2 mins to myself and relaxing
b) stress relief
c) helps me deal with boredom (sometimes)

trouble is I have never actually tried quitting so cannot relate to the cravings people speak about or the other initial side effects..

I am aware different things work for different people however I am interested in how people find themselves coping after having quit or alternatively during the process of quitting?

I have recently acquired a copy of "paul mckennas - quit smoking" the first cd is great has anyone quit totally by listening to this cd?

Anyway Im not asking for ways in which you quit, more how easy / difficult ppl found it?

thanks in advance...

cheers

Soldato
Stick some chill out music on for a few mins and sit on the sofa.

b) stress relief
Get a stress ball
xirokx said:
Tidy a small area of a room/desk or something.

:)

Oh, and, seriously, if not give up, just cut down to single figures, then take it from there.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I smoked for 20 years+, I gave up on Feb 2nd and haven't looked back. I did it the simple way, I just stopped smoking. No patches, no gum, no placebo tool I just simply stopped! Never even had a craving too!

Soldato
Patches worked for me, they are something you should try.

I would have said similar reasons, but my main one and reason for smoking at all is drink.
If you can avoid drinking situations then all methods have a much better chance of success I think anyway.

Don't worry about filling up time and being less stressed.
Time carries on and you sill be stressed regardless if you smoke or not ;).

Permabanned
I smoked for 20 years+, I gave up on Feb 2nd and haven't looked back. I did it the simple way, I just stopped smoking. No patches, no gum, no placebo tool I just simply stopped! Never even had a craving too!

That's exactly how I did it too, I believe it's the best way. I went from 20 (and a lot more on weekends) a day to nothing overnight in January, albeit I stopped because I was ill. I just didn't start again and I've not even had a single puff since, even after being totally blind drunk.

If you really want to give up you will, and it shouldn't be as bad as a lot of people make out.

Soldato
OP
I often think can the cravings and other side effects be as bad as people make out?

I guess I will have to quit to findout how easy or hard it maybe for me...

thanks for all your replies :)

Permabanned
One quick bit of advice! When you quit, clear the house of anything smoking related. Things like ashtrays, lighters, empty packets and of course any left over fags. Then open the windows and let the fresh air in to take away the smell of the smoke.

Soldato
i gave up by reading allen carrs easy way book. il spare you how it works, if you do decide to read it you will find that out anyway, but let me say this, if you really are wanting to give up like i was, the book WILL work.

Most of my mates have given up reading this , they and me have something in common, we ALL become fed up with smoking.

i gave the book to 2 members of my family , they seemed as though they would read it, they never , they are scared of being non smokers because they still enjoy smoking.

Anyhow, i have been a non smoker now for 4 months roughly, never had a single craving, and numerous physical advantages are there awaiting anyone who decides to quit smoking.

give it a go, its only 111 pages.

Last edited:
Associate
I gave up with the help of Zyban and small amounts of nicotine snorted into my craving nostrils :D.

However I tried patches and hated them. Do whatever you need to stop. Some people can go cold turkey, some need help.

It's whatever works for you. Goto the doctors, then you can get everything on prescription,i.e patches, gum, zyban etc.... far cheaper that way.

Soldato
I often think can the cravings and other side effects be as bad as people make out?

I guess I will have to quit to findout how easy or hard it maybe for me...

thanks for all your replies :)

Yes the first few days are VERY tough, expect a rough ride that’s if you’re going cold turkey like I did IMO that’s the only way, I’ve stopped now for 6mths and its great :) you feel much stronger mentally and physically you won’t regret giving up.

Good Luck :)

Soldato
Hi,

I currently smoke around 20 a day have been doing for many years, Im 27 yrs old and really want to quit...

I was the same back in January :)

I used patches for 3 weeks, followed by cold turkey. hardest thing I have ever done.

b) stress relief

trouble is I have never actually tried quitting so cannot relate to the cravings people speak about or the other initial side effects..

It wasn't the cravings that got me, more the habit of getting up, going for a smoke and taking a break from work / pc / etc...

I found having a pen in my mouth helped, as I seemed to smoke that :o

I am aware different things work for different people however I am interested in how people find themselves coping after having quit or alternatively during the process of quitting?

I have recently acquired a copy of "paul mckennas - quit smoking" the first cd is great has anyone quit totally by listening to this cd?

Anyway Im not asking for ways in which you quit, more how easy / difficult ppl found it?

thanks in advance...

cheers

My Sister, Fianceé and i quit together, they both started again after a month. One had hypnotherapy, one read Alan Carr book. I used patches.

The hardest thing for me was controlling my temper and not falling out with everybody for no reason. I was snapping and very argumentative but it only lasted a couple of weeks.

I don't even think about it now but must admit, I am one of those ex smokers that smokers hate. It stinks and I don't like being around it.

Soldato
I quit a year and something ago, from 25-35 a day (from say 14-15yo). Erm, I don't know what to say really. Just make the decision and stick with it. I haven't smoked again, but I think about it some days maybe 20 times. And after meals it can be hard, or late at night. But you just have to make the decision and show conviction.

Soldato
I was a smoker for over 40 years. It cost me two major heart attacks and a small fortune but I managed by using Zyban in the end. The drug blocks the receptors in the brain so it doesn't matter how much nicotine you take, you don't get the buzzzz.
Given the above, all you have to do is get your mind set right and it'll be over in no time.

Good luck.

Soldato
i gave up by reading allen carrs easy way book. il spare you how it works, if you do decide to read it you will find that out anyway, but let me say this, if you really are wanting to give up like i was, the book WILL work.

Same for me, I'd been a smoker for around 16 years and was on 20-30 a day and more at weekends.

That book is a real help, give it a try.

Soldato
Hi,

b) stress relief

thanks in advance...

cheers

Am sure i've posted before stating I stopped smoking cigarettes nearly three years ago now - though i still enjoy the occasional cigar i'd consider myself a social smoker :D

I found the easiest and cheapest way to stop was to buy a few packs of these:-

halls_mentho_hi_res.jpg

Any cigarrete after one of them is going to put you off them for good ;)

Back
Top Bottom