Going from 2gb to 4gb

Associate
Hi everyone. I currently have 2gb of that GeIL PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency stuff, but I wanna upgrade to 4 gigs. Is it best to buy another set of the GeIL, or is it possible/better to change to something else? :confused:

Associate
OP
Thanks Cob! Was gonna ditch the GeIL and just get 4gb of the OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2, but now the GeIl's now so cheap (I paid £140 at xmas!), I've just ordered that:)

Man of Honour
XP x64 is a very good OS mate. much more stable than any other. its not truely XP, its actually Windows Server 2003 in an XP-wrapper. ;)

Hmm...I've got 4GB on the way though I'm only going to stick in 2GB for the time being.

I've had a 64bit CPU for well over a year now I think it's time I really started to utilise it properly.

Associate
hey guys, dont want to hijack the thread, but thought would avoid starting a new one. im in a similar position to the op. got 2 gb of the geil pc6400 ultra low latency stuff. thinking of getting another 2gb and was just wondering if would be worth it. will i see much of a performance boost, eg would it help in crysis etc. am running 64 bit vista, an 8800gts and an e6600 on an evga 680i.

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
hey guys, dont want to hijack the thread, but thought would avoid starting a new one. im in a similar position to the op. got 2 gb of the geil pc6400 ultra low latency stuff. thinking of getting another 2gb and was just wondering if would be worth it. will i see much of a performance boost, eg would it help in crysis etc. am running 64 bit vista, an 8800gts and an e6600 on an evga 680i.

x64 Vista will love 4gb.

Associate
I've been running 4gb with Vista 64bit and found that my RAM (Ballistix 8500 C5) has been getting very hot being bunched so close together with Raptors on one side, an E6850 on the other and an 8800GTX below.

One of the sticks failed recently so I ordered a pair of dominator ram coolers that should fit any RAM, you might want to consider it if your system is already running hot.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
in what way. is it going to improve overall performance. is it going to make any kind of a difference in 3d mark, gaming etc

It won't make any difference to 3DMark.

But, Vista has very good memory management and it can make good use of available memory.

And the likes of Crysis will also make use of the extra memory.

At £40 it's really a no-brainer if you have a x64 OS.

Back
Top Bottom