coh: great game, crap patcher

Associate
Company of Heroes

This game has to be the game I have spent the most time installing in my life.
First it took an age to install.
Then I had to patch it with several patches (no single download)
The final patch was 1.7 Gb and worked on the 5th download (a 3rd download by my brother which I got from him via USB key)
Each time the 1.7gb patch failed it meant reinstalling as the patcher removed the game files when it failed.

So then I like the game so much I buy the expansion.
Now I'm trying to get that patch without failing.

I know I'm not sitting infront of the pc watching the bar crawl across the screen each time but the time spent must be the equivalent of about 4 or 5 windows installs.

I'm starting to suspect the problem must be the patching process being sensitive to an old hard disk. I might order a new HD this week to test that.

The game is fantastic though. I just wish I could play it! (patched up and online that is)

Associate
OP
Right i checked the md5s and they are okay. Thanks for that, it made me think beyond file corruption.

I think i might have been a bit stupid tbh. The error message was something like "corrupt or not enough disk space". I figured 3 gb was enough space to patch and ignored that.

Howevere I just deleted various rubbish and moved stuff to different partitions to give me 9 gb of free space. No other changes were made.
The patch has just reached about 85% where it was always crashing at <50% before.

I'll scratch "crap patcher" and replace it with "demanding patcher" :D

Permabanned
I just installed COH OF then
COHOF_EN_2100_2101_Patch.exe

Is that right from a fresh install? (is there a newer patch?) Seems to work though, says 2.10.1 in the main menu.

Associate
OP
I just installed COH OF then
COHOF_EN_2100_2101_Patch.exe

Is that right from a fresh install? (is there a newer patch?) Seems to work though, says 2.10.1 in the main menu.

Yep.

You can just enter the game and it downloads patches automatically as well.

The really annoying thing of course is that you can't play over the net except through relic online. So patching is mandatory and when relic online is down you're stuck with playing AI (or over a LAN).

Permabanned
I never do updates in the game, why download several hundred MB and not keep a copy? Useful if you do fresh OS & game installs. Just have a "game patches" directory.

Back
Top Bottom