• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cheap DirectX 10 card?

Associate
My line manager has seen the light and got me a fairly cheap HP E4400 PCi-Express machine but there's no graphics card in it... yet. Since it's a works PC, I don't want to spend much on getting it one. For various reasons, I would prefer to get a DirectX 10 capable card and I'm stuck between an 8600GT and a 2600Pro - both being around the £60 mark. Anybody got any thoughts?

Associate
Just had the same ultimatum with me being on a budget and not playing games much opted for the 8600gt directx 10 and scores better in 3dMARK06 so the choice was easy in the end plus im running a tight ship in a Silverstone Sugo, upto you tho in the end mate take a look at the reviews for the cards.

Soldato
2600pro wouldn't be good for dx10..

you'd be better with a 8600gt or 2600xt.. depending on the game they are about the same in performance.

if your running vista and you watch movies a lot, the 2600xt would be a good choice...

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just had the same ultimatum with me being on a budget and not playing games much opted for the 8600gt directx 10 and scores better in 3dMARK06 so the choice was easy in the end plus im running a tight ship in a Silverstone Sugo, upto you tho in the end mate take a look at the reviews for the cards.

3D Mark scores show nothing of how they preform in real life like, but i'd go with the 8600gt tbh, my friend has it, seems a nice card

Caporegime
2600pro wouldn't be good for dx10..

you'd be better with a 8600gt or 2600xt.. depending on the game they are about the same in performance.

if your running vista and you watch movies a lot, the 2600xt would be a good choice...

Is there a problem with a 8600GT in vista or watching movies? :confused:

Associate
OP
Great advice (as ever). Looks like it's between an OcUK 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 or a Sapphire 2600XT 256MB GDDR3 both for £65. Better check my power supply... Probably should have said that I teach games engines at uni and I'm future-proofing until I can afford something better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom