Best time to go to China?

Caporegime
OP
Erm. Right, I know there's a few members on here who know far more about China than I do, but I can try to make life easier for them if/when then turn up:

China's a big place. Like, really big. It could be tropical in the south and freezing further north. So, my question is really, do you have any idea at all where you want to go? Or what sort of photography you want to do - natural wonders or modern Shanghai skyscrapers?

Natural wonders!!! I can see sky scrapers in a lot of big citys.

I've only spent time around Qingdao and Shanghai on the east coast, which is the far more developed area of the country. However, I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to get to know the Chinese "culture" - modern city life and modern rural life are fairly different!

Well the Chinese have A LOT of history, and I want to get to know it a little better, and if possible, witness it. Rural life is what attracts me :)

So, yeah, a few hints on any of those and I, or someone more useful than me, will try to get back to you :)

Thank you :)

Associate
Right, in that case I'll speak to my girlfriend about best locations to see - she did a bit of a whirlwird tour of the country after she finished her teaching placement. Unfortunately, she's out getting drunk just now, so probably wont be much use til tomorrow :p

I'm on my second year of Chinese history and cultural studies, which I find fascinating, but makes me far better equipped to write you an essay about it than summarise anything of particular interest to a visitor, alas. Still, I'm off to study out there next year, so I guess it'd be useful to me to have a list of places to get to at some point over the course of my time there.

I'll bump this when I've spoken to her, if it's not still up here :)

Caporegime
OP
Right, in that case I'll speak to my girlfriend about best locations to see - she did a bit of a whirlwird tour of the country after she finished her teaching placement. Unfortunately, she's out getting drunk just now, so probably wont be much use til tomorrow :p

I'm on my second year of Chinese history and cultural studies, which I find fascinating, but makes me far better equipped to write you an essay about it than summarise anything of particular interest to a visitor, alas. Still, I'm off to study out there next year, so I guess it'd be useful to me to have a list of places to get to at some point over the course of my time there.

I'll bump this when I've spoken to her, if it's not still up here :)

Thank you :) Really appreciate it :)

Associate
Although the major tourist sites are often a dissappointment, the Forbidden City is an exception. It really is amazing and if you end up in Beijing, a total must see.

IMHO of course.

As to timings I would be tempted to go either in the spring or the autumn. Avoid the extremes.

Caporegime
your so right

lighten up, its a forum everyone does it :D

ahh yes, asking about astra diesel real mpg returns the same amount of information as a search on china. well done. 2 very different things.

WarBirdthe question is if you think search engines hold the answers to everything, why are you on these forums Morba? to ask questions about computers etc.? couldn't google just do that?

i very rarely ask questions about computers on here, most of the things i ask have been searched for elsewhere, be it forums or search engines.

Soldato
ahh yes, asking about astra diesel real mpg returns the same amount of information as a search on china. well done. 2 very different things.

I think you should just quit while you're behind on this one.

As for the OP - I suspect there's so much to see in China that you could visit any place and any time of the year and not be disappointed.

Soldato
Do remember that the Olympics are taking place ,so it may be cheaper to go after that
Here is what a friend said when he went over to marry his Chinese GF

You will not understand a word anyone says to you in chinese for the whole of your stay apart from "laowi"(round eye), "gau bei tse" (big nose), and "you buy Lolex"(you buy Rolex).
99.999% or more of people in a Chinese major city speak absolutely no english. The remainder speak it very very badly. In the sticks, its likely to be absolutly no english. and they will stare at your big nose and round eyes as if you are an escaped animal from the zoo.
You do need permission to enter the country (an invite from a resident and documented place to stay. And you probably need permission to travel between cities. This may have changed but I'd check.
If you stick to Shanghai, Beijing (great wall and forbidden city) and XiAn (terracota warriors) you'll probably be ok and manage - remember, always have your address where you are staying written out in full chinese to help get you home. Carry cash it's very rare to find credit card use. these places are 2-3 hours away from each other by jet - I'd take internal flights as opposed to train.

Associate
Just to add my thoughts to this:

Do remember that the Olympics are taking place ,so it may be cheaper to go after that

Very true, I should be there immediately afterwards, but I'll not be in Beijing anyway.

You will not understand a word anyone says to you in chinese for the whole of your stay apart from "laowi"(round eye), "gau bei tse" (big nose), and "you buy Lolex"(you buy Rolex).
99.999% or more of people in a Chinese major city speak absolutely no english. The remainder speak it very very badly. In the sticks, its likely to be absolutly no english. and they will stare at your big nose and round eyes as if you are an escaped animal from the zoo.

Also true, though hostels and hotels are good places to ask if you need directions, or at least those aimed at foreign visitors. My hostel in Shanghai was a lifesaver when I first landed, I explained that I wanted to get a train to Qingdao and they wrote out what I needed on a little piece of paper, which I just had to hand over at the ticket office. Finding the right ticket office/window at it is another nightmare in itself, but hey, part of the fun.

Incidentally, lao wai literally means "Old foreigner", though you will hear it everywhere. Didn't get too much about my nose though :p People under 25 or so were better for speaking english in my experience, had several approach me to practise, and a few intellectually fromm before the cultural revolution too.

You do need permission to enter the country (an invite from a resident and documented place to stay. And you probably need permission to travel between cities. This may have changed but I'd check.

It has :) You do need a residence there for the sake of your visa application, I used the address of my girlfriend's school, though once there I didn't even register at the hotel I was staying in. Just crashed with her for a month, came in and out through the back door, no hassles leaving the country (unlike Vietnam, where me being "missing" for a night was cause to be taken off and interviewed...)

Travel between cities is fine too, you can head wherever you want with no problem, as long as you can actually get yourself a ticket and navigate the transport system!

If you stick to Shanghai, Beijing (great wall and forbidden city) and XiAn (terracota warriors) you'll probably be ok and manage - remember, always have your address where you are staying written out in full chinese to help get you home. Carry cash it's very rare to find credit card use. these places are 2-3 hours away from each other by jet - I'd take internal flights as opposed to train.

Good advice on having your home address, waving it at taxi drivers (especially after a night out) is far more reliable than attempting to get them to understand stabs at Chinese - though feel free to try. Cashpoints in cities aren't massively hard to find, but yeah, it's unusual to find a shop that'll accept them.

As for internal flights, depends on your budget and faith in Chinese airlines ;) I quite enjoyed the train journies I took, admittedly Shanghai > Qingdao was 18 hours (and that's only halfway to Beijing), but the sleeper bunks are comfy enough and you can wander about. Be prepared for people trying to talk to you, being noisy in your compartment when you want to sleep, or generally sitting and staring at you, however...I was fine however, always up on the top bunk. If you can't get a sleeper ticket for a long journey, forget it :p

Associate

no what im saying is you can search for anything on google, so telling someone that they shouldnt of created a thread because the info could be found on google is a moot point. I am quite sure ocuk dont mind people asking questions as it isnt against the rules, if it bothers you so much you can ignore the thread :rolleyes: .

Also dont think you've noticed but you aint a mod so you really havent got any sort of right to tell someone they should'nt of created a thread, you got a problem with it a thread report it, simple :p

anyhoo on topic, depends on what you want to do mate, if you want to experience the culture then wait till a big festival (i.e. chinese new year). If you just want to just see the sights october i think is the best time.

You probly better of someone who has been there more then once tbh.

Back
Top Bottom