Abit Ip 35 pro has bad vdrop?

Soldato
Only reacently someone menchened their pro had bad v drop. i intend on overclocking a lot on the mobo and i thought the ABIT Ip 35 pro to be the best in the group for overclocking. Perhaps i was wrong? Would the v drop affect me badly and do the other boards not suffer as badly with it?

str

str

Soldato
IMO vdroop doesn't matter all that much as at idle the higher vcore doesn't cause problems and at load it droops to what you need for stable operation.

I've seen vdroop from ~0.04v to ~0.08v on various boards and it hasn't affected anything at all. Various CPUs I've tested did the same overclock in each board with pretty much the same temps etc.

I'd be more concerned about the quirks of the board than the vdroop.

Associate
I get 0.06v - 0.08v droppage on this board. There are pencil mods available, apparently, but I can't be bothered. Dunno about other p35 boards, though.
I'm really unaffected by this, I get 3.42GHz and I stop there mainly due to temps (61c cpu, 70c cores) during stress testing.

have a look on the quad core database - most boards have pretty significant vDrop.

Soldato
OP
MMm well im thinking of jsut running the q6600 Go at 3.2ghz because i wont need it any faster i doubt. Judging from taht i should be aiming at a real voltage of 1.3v?

:EDIT:

Whats vid coretemp? I thought taht was voltage drop but it cant be because otherwize some people are using hardly any volts to get 4ghz. Is it north bridge?

Last edited:
Associate
The vCore column is vDimm (cpu volts) applied in BIOS. The VID Coretemp column is the vDimm as read in windows through Coretemp. the difference between these values is the vdrop - although actually likelier to be vdrop+vdroop as most of the settings represent the system while loaded. So W3bbo's cpu needs 1.64 assigned in BIOS to get 1.2625 actual.

Soldato
OP
Th vid coretemp is like the same for everyone.

Im surpised there is so few Abits in there. And mostly asus? i thougth asus blocked the sata ports if you had a gtx or gts.

Associate
The drop + droop on my pro board was ~0.08v. Personally i find it irritating but there is an effective mod that can be done if your confident with a soldering iron :) (check out the IP35 Pro thread over at XS for details)

My current DFI P35 is rock solid with droop control enabled.

Soldato
I don't have noticeable Vdroop on any of my P35 boards. I really do wonder about some users setting 1.325V in bios then seeing that CPUz reads 1.203V and claiming a 0.1V Vdroop. The only way to actually measure it is with a voltmeter and I'll bet you 99.9% of users wouldn't be able to produce a picture of where to measure the droop let alone do it.

The P35 boards are the best available at the moment and the only people really banging on about Vdroop are ASUS owners because they think they have a special droop damper, but this isn't required on boards that don't have droop, so what does that tell you about ASUS boards? I reckon they know they have a problem!

Caporegime
LOL. so ishould get the abit pro anyway? I just wonder if there is another board which it would be better to spend my money on now.

My Gigabyte x38 comes tomo after having clocked and tested an abit p35 pro.

Could not get 3.8ghz stable with the P35 pro.(could have been chip or mobo)

So it will be interesting to see if I can get 3.8ghz with the same chip on the DQ6 x38.

Ill post back with my findings

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have noticeable Vdroop on any of my P35 boards. I really do wonder about some users setting 1.325V in bios then seeing that CPUz reads 1.203V and claiming a 0.1V Vdroop. The only way to actually measure it is with a voltmeter and I'll bet you 99.9% of users wouldn't be able to produce a picture of where to measure the droop let alone do it.

The Vdroop+Vdrop on mine was 0.08v actual, 0.11v according to uguru. Thankfully I'm part of the 0.1% that can use a DMM and a soldering iron. The vcore mod is as easy as they come. Cost all of a quid, needs a steady hand though. Although the droop doesn't effect stability, I just don't like the overvolt needed at idle.

Back
Top Bottom