hd-dvd equiped 360

Caporegime
With your mentality we'd all still be playing games on floppy disks ;)

Nothing wrong with XP. No-one actually wants Vista, and it's sales figures reflect this. Those sales figures would be even lower if it wasn't for DX10 artificially being Vista only.

Wait, what? What are you on about Floppy disks? I'm the one wanting to push new technology...

Caporegime
Am I the only person who doesnt think vista is devils spawn of the highest order? There is no need to put a HD-DVD drive in the current xbox, there is no demand or a financial gain from dong so with the format war going on. You never know the next xbox may have to use bluray depending on the demand from consumers.

No, both me and my mate bought it when it came out and we both love it.

Caporegime
Microsoft will do whatever Microsoft thinks is in it's best interests. Consumer be damned. PC games are increasingly DVD only, forcing PC owners to buy new hardware - why should the 360 be any different? Time will tell...

Time will tell and time will prove me right, MS are NOT gonna screw over 10 million customers, end of story.

Soldato
nothing wrong with them putting a hd-dvd drive inside a 360, some people may want to use the 360 as a HD-dvd playback device, id definately not want an external drive aswell as the 360 sat in my cabinet if i was one of those people.
Whether or not games will be put on HD-DVD is a somewhat different question to integrating hd-dvd into console - its only an extra feature after all, makes the system more appealing to certain markets..

On another note - why wouldnt they force people to use HD-DVDs towards the end of the 360's life, or give option of upgraded experience using them?
Nintendo did it with the N64 after all..
Perfect dark on the n64 without memory upgrade = half a game
Was required for a few games IIRC after that too, fair enough it wasnt the same price, but by the end of the 360s life I could see HD-DVD drives being what, £40-£50, and the prices would come down if it was going to sell in masses..
Its also got more functionality than the n64 memory expansion.

Not really such a far out rumour that a hd-dvd would be integrated, nor would it be such a massive thing if they 'forced' people to get hd-dvd drives, as in all likelyhood they will be the same price as a game by the time they are required etc.

Please don't get me started on the the Vista debate, if anyone try's to compare this to the transition from 98se to XP and say it's normal then they are living in a dream world, and before anyone mentions it, 2000 wasn't a standard home OS, the transition was 98se to XP, and my god was it a worth while transition, I honestly welcomed XP with open arms even with it's faults, I owned it from pretty much day one and even then it out classed 98SE on every level, it really was an upgrade, why don't consumers (including me) feel like that about Vista ?, perhaps it's because we are not stupid and see that Vista was a complete farce which is why Dell was forced by consumers to carry on offering it as an install option when you purchase one of their systems, also no doubt why M$ was forced into extending the retail shelf life of XP by another whole year due to the fact that a large bulk of end users are still refusing to make the transition to Vista, I'm someone that loved making the transition to every OS from Workgroups 3.11 on-wards, so why not XP to vista, am I being biased, I think not, a silly snazzy fangled interface may be enough to pull the wool over allot of peoples eyes but not me, and everything that people do like about Vista could have been incorporated into a simple SP3 update anyway, simple as.

Last edited:
Soldato
Please don't get me started on the the Vista debate, if anyone try's to compare this to the transition from 98se to XP and say it's normal then they are living in a dream world, and before anyone mentions it, 2000 wasn't a standard home OS, the transition was 98se to XP, and my god was it a worth while transition, I honestly welcomed XP with open arms even with it's faults, I owned it from pretty much day one and even then it out classed 98SE on every level, it really was an upgrade, why don't consumers (including me) feel like that about Vista ?, perhaps it's because we are not stupid and see that Vista was a complete farce which is why Dell was forced by consumers to carry on offering it as an install option when you purchase one of their systems, also no doubt why M$ was forced into extending the retail shelf life of XP by another whole year due to the fact that a large bulk of end users are still refusing to make the transition to Vista, I'm someone that loved making the transition to every OS from Workgroups 3.11 on-wards, so why not XP to vista, am I being biased, I think not, a silly snazzy fangled interface may be enough to pull the wool over allot of peoples eyes but not me, and everything that people do like about Vista could have been incorporated into a simple SP3 update anyway, simple as.

Well said

Soldato
erm, usually seeing someone saying M$ in a post would give impression that the poster's point is generally completely worthless, its a bit of a stupid thing to say, microsoft is a company, why shouldnt they try to make as much money as possible.

Vista has been built from the ground up, after a SP or 2 it will be a better platform, just right now its not really that feasable for a lot of people.
For years people have slated XP because its built on old fundamentals and is just an upgrade of previous upgrades, funny how these all go silent and sing its praises now just because MS created vista..

Vista will smash XP silly in due time, XP wasnt brilliant upon release either, but its obviously a little different with vista, because its not basically a modified 95, 98, ME, 2k etc..
I for one am glad its around now, ill get it when it hits SP1.

Now, stop turning this into a vista XP thread, its HD-DVD and 360, the only thing in common between the 2 arguements is a sticker saying microsoft

Caporegime
erm, usually seeing someone saying M$ in a post would give impression that the poster's point is generally completely worthless, its a bit of a stupid thing to say, microsoft is a company, why shouldnt they try to make as much money as possible.

Err because Micro$oft are a monopoly, and as such have a legal duty not to make too much money by abusing that monopoly. Not that M$ ever pay attention to the laws of a country, both the EU and South Korea have fined Microsoft in the recent past.

Soldato
Err because Micro$oft are a monopoly, and as such have a legal duty not to make too much money by abusing that monopoly. Not that M$ ever pay attention to the laws of a country, both the EU and South Korea have fined Microsoft in the recent past.

I would love to know what your beef is with MS..

I don't see them as any better/worse then all it's competitors..

Just because they release new software that isn't 100% backwards compatible, or means that some 'new' games will only play on it is not that big a deal, it's progress, get over it.. And the fact that they stop selling their old product to get everyone to buy the new product is just a fact of life..

Look at the situation with hardware, just look at how often platforms and interfaces are brought in, and the terrible lack of backwards compatibility.. 8800GTX AGP anyone? or AMD/INTEL going to their next socket and stopping production of product for the old socket, meaning new motherboard/processor and usually memory when it's upgrade time..

Or games that are written with ever increasing minimum specs that mean I have to upgrade to play them properly..

Soldato

its not microsofts fault that people see XP and vista more attractive than using a Mac is it. a lot of people are scared of by Linux too.
Erm they do pay attention to laws, we havnt exactly seen them fined all that often, and it was a pretty hefty fine which got their attention.

Caporegime
its not microsofts fault that people see XP and vista more attractive than using a Mac is it. a lot of people are scared of by Linux too.
Erm they do pay attention to laws, we havnt exactly seen them fined all that often, and it was a pretty hefty fine which got their attention.

Erm yes it is Micro$oft's fault - they were the ones who forced other OS developers out of the desktop market. They're the ones who forced other office applications out of the market, they're the ones who forced other web browsers out of the market, they're the ones who are forcing other media players out of the market. They only have themselves to blame.

Oh I'm so glad that a hefty fine got their attention :rolleyes: How about they actually pay attention to the law before breaking it? :mad:

Soldato
'Forced' in the sense they marketed their product better(office applications) and it was adopted, in general, as the mainstream package.
Forced other web browsers out? Im not really agreeing with this, To be honest I would have been a bit peed off if id bought XP, plugged it into the internet and had no internet explorer to get on the internet with - how could i download firefox then?
I never really saw all that much wrong with having iexplore with windows before, fair enough it gives microsoft the majority of users but I always classed it as part of the operating system, since for me windows was more like a Suite..
Its not really microsofts fault that a lot of people are too lazy to want to bother going and finding each of these little programs out on the internet, they would much rather install windows/buy a pc and have it all ready for use..

Why dont we fine apple for making us use itunes with our ipods?

You may want to refrain from saying M$ or Micro$oft, it generally will mean people judge you before reading the whole post, the anti-MS banter is generally irrational and somewhat pointless, but seems to be quite common on 'gaming' forums and P2P forums/comments, and its generally utter rubbish.

Caporegime
I would love to know what your beef is with MS..

The question you should be asking is "I would love to know why so many people don't have a beef with MS".

I mean, you didn't get people saying things like Standard Oil should be allowed to keep their monopoly because they've marketed a better product than their competitors etc.

Caporegime
'Forced' in the sense they marketed their product better(office applications) and it was adopted, in general, as the mainstream package.
Forced other web browsers out? Im not really agreeing with this, To be honest I would have been a bit peed off if id bought XP, plugged it into the internet and had no internet explorer to get on the internet with - how could i download firefox then?
I never really saw all that much wrong with having iexplore with windows before, fair enough it gives microsoft the majority of users but I always classed it as part of the operating system, since for me windows was more like a Suite..
Its not really microsofts fault that a lot of people are too lazy to want to bother going and finding each of these little programs out on the internet, they would much rather install windows/buy a pc and have it all ready for use..

Forced office app developers out by not granting them the same access to the Windows API that they enjoyed.

Look what happened when Micro$oft forced Netscape out of the market. Everyone said "oh great - I have a web browser out of the box", but this just resulted in no innovation or development from Microsoft, the net result was IE6. Were you happy with that then?

Why dont we fine apple for making us use itunes with our ipods?

Apple are subject to the same laws as Micro$oft, and as such are currently being investigated by the European Commission to see if they've broken competition law with iTunes. France has already decided that they have.

Back
Top Bottom