New Apple Keyboards F keys

Associate
My girlfriend just bought herself one of the new wired Apple keyboards however I can't get the keys for Expose, dashboard, volume and music control to work. I seem to remember seeing something about how they don't work but I can't think where. I did a quick google but couldn't find anything. Am I being stupid? How can I get them to work?

Soldato
Not honestly sure, but have you tried the 'fn' button along with whatever key you want?

There's also a review on the keyboard at AppleInsider which goes into a bit more detail on the f keys. :)

Soldato
Just plugged in my new keyboard (wired) and am having something of a nightmare with the caps lock.

It feels like it is more of a 'press and click-in' type of button as opposed to every other key. I have to either stop, look and click it down pretty firmly or hammer it.

Anybody had anything remotely similar in terms of the caps lock? Unsure if it's it or me - but think it'll be going back for good if it's the latter. :(

Soldato
It's meant to be like that, it's designed to stop accidental caps lock but it seems to be a bit of a marmite feature. I think you can either press it harder or hold it down to turn it on and off.

Soldato
I just had a quick look on Apple discussions and it seems you are spot on. With no way of turning it off either.

Unbelievable. Totally breaks my typing pattern and it'll be going back. *shakes head at incredibly crap feature*

Soldato
It might be tweakable from software at a later date.. did it work that way before the software update do you remember?

Yeah. I thought something was up with it - so went to software update and downloaded the new drivers. It prompted me for a restart so I thought it was must be significant enough to warrant that but it's still doing the same thing.

Just a totally naff feature. Anyone who types little more more than 3 words an hour and can't control their fingers may think it's the best feature ever.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Caps lock is for n00bs.. use shift? ;)

So you're saying it works like the delayed eject button on the Notebooks?

Soldato
Caps lock is for n00bs.. use shift? ;)

So you're saying it works like the delayed eject button on the Notebooks?

Pretty much the same ideology mate.

I've been using shift for the past while and it's not so bad - but I sent some feedback off to Apple to see if they would sort it.

It's just annoying and not needed. It seems like a feature added for someone who is unsure of a keyboard. A bit too mothering for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom