Go-Karting tips

Soldato
Im a big lump, and I used to push it right to the limit, I often found myself needing to scrub off a lot of speed. One corner saw me head first into a tyre wall :D

Soldato
Do not brake whilst goin around a corner or entering it, brake before the corner then lift off the gas as your turning in before planting your right foot on the exit of he corner.

You will then take the corner a lot smoother :)

Just becareful because despite being about 4 inches off the ground you can still roll a go kart :eek:

Soldato
if your aboce 12stone don't go, you will lose badly

18stone lumps like me do need more power than a hairdryer motor :(

Caporegime
I just normally through my weight round the corners, well the whole 13stone of it.

On tight corners, always seem to win every race anyway, maybe my mates are just fat gits.

Just don't be too cocky but don't be scared of them either.

Went with a mate once who was being too cocky, only one that didn't drive. Crashed it after a few laps nothing bad just spun out and hut a barrier lost all confidence and went slow as crap round a tight circut!

Associate
Dont try to drift. I learnt that on a wet track

Also the go karts i was on were pretty much slow, so on nearly every corner you take corners at full throttle.

Also overtaking on grass isnt the safest idea but works. :p

Soldato
im 13 stone and i was still getting fastest laps to my name when doing karting for my company in a national competition. :cool:

the key to it is to get good drive onto straights and keep corner speed up by being smooth.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I always get black flagged at go-karting. :D

My technique is to squeeze down the inside of others on corners which sometimes forces them into the tyre wall/barrier and as such grinding them to a halt whilst I shoot off, but sometimes I get spotted and black flagged. DOH! :D

To be quick mainly means to be smooth, take lines that involve steering the least and try not to use the brakes if you can get round a corner by balancing it on the throttle. Abrupt steering may look good but it will make you slower.

Associate
I did a session in July at the Warrington indoor Karting place, we're going again the 4th Dec, anyone got any tips for this circuit? I finished 3rd out of our 20 peeps and was a couple of secs off the fastest lap for our group.

I've just been recently with the new track layout - I thought it was awesome on the very top floor.

The technique I used on the day was not to use the brakes (not needed on this track) basically foot down on the accelerator turn in to the corner and then lift off for 1-2 seconds and foot down hard and so on. This means good speed into the corner and good traction out whilst being lined up for the next corner due to lifting off.

Pretty much basic technique really (I think)

The times I got with this technique:

1 - 1:12.42
2 - 1:08.07
3 - 1:07.16*
4 - 1:07.86
5 - 1:09.93

I'm 11st 13

10-08-2007 - Track Record 1:03.11

Could give this a bash if this is different to your technique.

Associate
ocuk have a place near them? i remember there was an old thread with someone trying to arrange a go kart day, what happened to that?

Soldato
would love a karting day with you guys :)

I've been to the circuit at Wymeswold, loughborough a few times before and loved every minute of it

If anyone arranges such an event, let me know :)

Soldato
I'm 13 and-a-lot stone and I've won my last two races at Milton Keynes Daytona.

Cornering tips:

If there's a long straight after the corner, brake slightly earlier and get the kart settled so you can plant the throttle on or before the apex - taking a late apex into a hairpin can also help with this. It's most satisfying out-dragging a 9 stone scrote when you get a 5-7mph head start :D

Only brake where you need to - seems obvious but there's probably a lot of occasions where you need only to lift rather than brake. Most time this is on long sweeing corners.

Be prepared to sacrifice 1 corner exit for another - If you have a quick left-right section, brake a little more than you'd think to keep the kart tight to the inside of the left. You can then plant the throttle through the rest of the right turn for a slingshot out of the corner.

Use the run-offs - on outdoor tracks they sometimes get a bit narked if you keep doing it, so try it first and see if you get warned. Depending on the track you're on theres some curbs which you can lean on, some will slow you down. Only one way of finding out which is which.

Learn where to position your kart - this only really comes with racing experience, but knowing how to confuse someone in front of you, and how to block someone behind you are the most important things to learn. If you've got Forza, crank it up for some practise - I find the B class cars are quite a similar experience, lots of grip and easy to throw around.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - If you're being lapped, get the fark out of the way!

Back
Top Bottom