Help me make the Windows sticky up-to-date!

Soldato
Most of you will have at some point read or even used Baddass' excellent Windows Performance, Optimization, Security and Tweaking guide.

Now it is getting a bit old I think and there is this new version of Windows called Vista or something apparently. So I've taken on the task of sprucing the guide up with a view to replacing the current guide with a newer sticky that has hints and tips for XP and Vista. Now the problem is that I don't have Vista so I don't know any hints/tips etc that you clever bunch may know for Vista. Also the Windows XP hints might still be valid for Vista but follow a different process compared to XP so please let me know if an XP tip works in Vista but follows a different procedure.

So I call out to you OcUKers brave enough to use Vista! Help me! No seriously, if you have any hints, post 'em here, I will collate them and amalgamate the two threads into a brand new super hybrid, all conquering Windows Performance, Optimisation, Security and Tweaking guide. :D

This thread isn't just for Vista tips, oh no. Any tips for XP that you use and think someone else might find useful and aren't already in the guide, post 'em here and I'll get onto working them into the guide. :)

Anyone silly enough to post a tip that is already in the original thread will be reported to the Dons, arrested, shot at dawn and perhaps even banned as well. :p Do NOT attempt to confuse me by making me add something that is already in the guide OK? So read the original guide (link at the top) and see if you think of anything new or perhaps a link you know of to complement a tip.

Thanks for reading this and I hope we can update Baddass' thread and bring it up to scratch for 2007/2008. :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers jbloggs. :) I'll take a look at them and get some stuff from there. Can you recommend any of the tips as especially useful? I don't want to copy the whole things, just the really useful bits.

box

box

Associate
Hi MarcLister.
As jbloggs has said, Fire Wizard has posted a couple of very extensive Vista threads. Might it be best to get a separate Vista thread going instead of summarising and 'bunging it all on the end' of the already very long XP one.
Arguably we are talking about two very different O/S's here and it might be best, for the sake of clarity to put Vista stuff in a separate place?
Sorry if this was already on your mind! :D Great job so far with everything.

Soldato
OP
I doubt the powers that be would want two stickies, one for XP and one for Vista.

And I'll say it again, we'll be making a new thread so we won't be reconstructing the current one.

I'll find a way to get XP and Vista co-existing, don't worry. :)

Soldato
Cheers jbloggs. :) I'll take a look at them and get some stuff from there. Can you recommend any of the tips as especially useful? I don't want to copy the whole things, just the really useful bits.

Unforunately I only had Vista on for a couple of months, during which time I spent just getting used to it and not doing much tweaking, but I did find "Disabling UAC" and "Driver verification" helpful. :)

Soldato
Hey MarcLister, it's nice to see someone looking to update the Windows XP sticky (Baddass, fantastic guide by the way :)), good stuff. If it’s ok MarcLister, I would love to help you out especially the Windows Vista side of things. :)

Thank you very much for the mentioning jbloggs and tim80bwi. :)

Back
Top Bottom