• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a dual core.

Soldato
thats the only one they sell at the moment! Yeah the 3800+ is fine and the general opinion seems to be that thet overclock to about 2.6-2.8ghz. Higher rated CPU's 4400+ etc tend to be quite expensive on s939.

Associate
AMD Dual Core

I currently have a socket 939 motherboard with an AMD Opteron, these were good chips and conveniently overclocks from 2GHZ to 2.9GHZ without any need for more cooling....however - I recently acquired a 9800GTX and want to run the Crysis game with as much detail as possible.

Would someone please help as I am considering the AMD dual core as suggested in this link as a cheap upgrade, will it provide much more than the overclocked 2.9GHZ Opteron in games?

Can the Dual Core be overclocked and what would be the best RAM to use?

Ta

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I currently have a socket 939 motherboard with an AMD Opteron, these were good chips and conveniently overclocks from 2GHZ to 2.9GHZ without any need for more cooling....however - I recently acquired a 9800GTX and want to run the Crysis game with as much detail as possible.

Would someone please help as I am considering the AMD dual core as suggested in this link as a cheap upgrade, will it provide much more than the overclocked 2.9GHZ Opteron in games?

Can the Dual Core be overclocked and what would be the best RAM to use?

Ta

Your current memory should be fine unless you are wishing to upgrade to 2gb. In which case any PC3200 will be fine.

In single threaded games the Opty will be quicker than the X2 as it's unlikely the X2 will hit 2.9ghz (maybe 2.7-2.8ghz if it's a good one). But games are starting be become multi-threaded and the X2 will be a much better CPU in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom