First DSLR- willing to look S/H is it worth it?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
As per title really...

I work all over the world and go to some amazing places, and whilst my trusty Minolta G600 is getting me some decent pictures, I feel I have exhausted its capabilities (and it's getting old now).

So... Ultimately I want an SLR, is it worth looking S/H these days, or should I plump for a D400/D40x sort of thing? (I haven't done that much research yet so I am not sure exactly what models I will be considering at this stage).

Also, if I buy new, do you think I am likely to get a much better deal if I wait until January?

Thanks

Associate
D400 and D40x/D40 are entry level DSLRs. You probably wont find any cheaper or better than them for a beginner one, so I would definitely recommend either one of them two.
I have been told to stick with either Canon or Nikon due to their ability to invest in lens development and the choices of lens available for these fitment.

Do it, you won't be disappointed.

Soldato
It is definitely worth looking at second hand bodies if you want to. Taking canon as an example, now they've brought out the 40D, the 30D (still a MASSIVELY capable camera and far better than the 400D) has come down in price hugely not only second hand but new as well. If you were to find one in good quality with a small shutter count, then for me, it would be a no-brainer.

Soldato
what's your budget?

You'll pick up a used Canon 30D for not much more that a 400D kit new price (£400ish) and it's a lot more than the 400D so you won't want to replace it as soon as you would a 400D as it's aimed at enthusiasts/semi pro photographers, i have it and it come highly recommended from me :)

Soldato
It is definitely worth looking at second hand bodies if you want to. Taking canon as an example, now they've brought out the 40D, the 30D (still a MASSIVELY capable camera and far better than the 400D) has come down in price hugely not only second hand but new as well. If you were to find one in good quality with a small shutter count, then for me, it would be a no-brainer.

shutter count is irrelevent on the 30D s it's useful for over 100,000 actuations :)

Soldato
shutter count is irrelevent on the 30D s it's useful for over 100,000 actuations :)
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but cameras with lower shutter counts will naturally have been used less, so won't have been knocked about as much and will generally be in better condition superficially. When they can be bought so cheap now, you'd be daft to go for one with a higher shutter count if there was another available for a similar price with loads fewer actuations.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
So so say I found a 30D for decent money, would I find it as 'easy' (for someone who only has limited experience with SLRs) as the 400D which is aimed at the entry-level end of the market?

Thanks

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Great- I will definately look for a 30D or something like that over a new camera then :)

Would you reccommend the Bay of E or am I likely to get a melon?

Thanks

Soldato
So long as you're sensible like with any other eBay purchase you should be fine. There are dedicated places that sell second-hand equipment but I'm fairly certain they'd still be considered competitors, so they can't be posted here.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
So long as you're sensible like with any other eBay purchase you should be fine. There are dedicated places that sell second-hand equipment but I'm fairly certain they'd still be considered competitors, so they can't be posted here.

Hi m8 I added you to MSN... I hope that's OK- I have a couple of questions I want to ask :)

Cheers

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Ok so lets say I could get a brand new CANON 400D + EF-S 18-55mm Lens for £350 to my door, would you still call the 30D better VFM? Bear in mind it will take me a long time to actually get the most out of the 400D, never mind a 30/40D!

Associate
I've got a D40x and definitely glad I made the plunge. I've been using the good old Canon 1000FN for the last 10-15 years and I would suggest going in to a shop and trying both a Canon and Nikon. A friend bought the canon, but I found it too light and preferred the Nikon.

Horses for courses and I think you would be happy with either.

Soldato
Ok so lets say I could get a brand new CANON 400D + EF-S 18-55mm Lens for £350 to my door, would you still call the 30D better VFM? Bear in mind it will take me a long time to actually get the most out of the 400D, never mind a 30/40D!
Yes, personally, I would buy the 30D over the 400D.

Soldato
the 30D is in another league to the 400D, you won't know it at first, Canons build cameras as follows, xxxD = amateur, xxD = enthusiast/semi pro and xD is for professionals, the 400D has a plastic body and isn't very robust, still a very good camera for a beginner, but ask how many on this forum have upgraded from a 350/400D to a 30/40D.

Back
Top Bottom