lens for a D40X

Man of Honour
Hey Guys,
I'm picking back up with proper photography after a couple of years break. I got a D40x as a birthday pressy a few months back, it came with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens, which is a start, however I'm heading out to the land of the rising sun in a couple of weeks and I'm tempted to get a new lens...

Ideally i'd like something with image stabilizing for the low light, and a reasonable zoom :)

Cheers
Sam

Associate
I've got the D40x with a 55 - 200mm VR lens.

Does the job nicely.

'They' say that you don't need to go as high zoom on a digi camera as you do a 35mm. Apparently a 200mm on a digi is as good as have a 300mm on a 35mm. No idea why or whether there is any truth in the matter. One day I'll geek out and compare one against the other, but that day is not today.

Soldato
18-200VR?

I've got the D40x with a 55 - 200mm VR lens.

Does the job nicely.

'They' say that you don't need to go as high zoom on a digi camera as you do a 35mm. Apparently a 200mm on a digi is as good as have a 300mm on a 35mm. No idea why or whether there is any truth in the matter. One day I'll geek out and compare one against the other, but that day is not today.

Its because most digital SLR sensors are smaller than 35mm film. this creates a 'crop factor' which give sthe appearance of additional focal length. So on a 1.5X crop sensor, a 200mm lens would give the appearance of it being 300mm on a 35mm system. the focal length doesn't actually change, it just 'crops' the middle out of the overall image. Hope that makes some sense.

Associate
Low light and a reasonable zoom with VR wont be cheap!

Sigma do a 24-70mm F2.8 for £300, but i dont think it has HSM so is useless on the D40. They also do a 18-50mm F2.8 for £330. The only real option you have for a good quality superzoom with image stabilisation is the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR IF ED. Butas you can see the aperture on that is the same as your kit lens (at the VR lens's relative focal lengths) and so it wont be much better in low light at all. The VR will compensate somewhat but don't expect to be taking pictures in the dark of anything moving without using a tripod. The Nikon lens is about £450.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom