Postie's been

Soldato
Well I built up a fair amount of money over the summer, so I reckoned I needed to spend some of it. Anyway, the postie delivered me a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM and Canon 2x Extender today. Got the lens for £845 in the end (including the canon cashback) - basically £400 off highstreet prices.

img6124kn6.jpg

img6124lh0.jpgp
It's big and built like a tank. Next to it is my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (fully extended) and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 to give an idea of size. I was pleased to find that with some shuffling, I can still get the sigma, nifty fifty and kit lens, as well as the new lens (mounted to my 350D) and extender into my Lowepro 200AW, though it's a tight squeeze and I have the have the lens vertically. Apologies for the picture quality - taken with the kit lens, which just can't cut it in comparison and I didn't really want to have to get my tripod out.

Absolutely love the lens. Sharp as a pin, focusses stupidly quickly and silently and the IS is superb. I did some shots this evening to show it in action - seriously impressive:

100% crop of the weave on the lens case that comes with it. 1/6s, f/2.8, ISO200 @ 170mm.
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/3338/img6099ud1.jpg

Beautiful bokeh.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1299/img6108ad6.jpg

Random photo. Without IS. 4/10s, f/2.8, ISO200 @ 200mm.
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/631/img6121fl2.jpg

Same random photo. With IS. 4/10s, f/2.8, ISO200 @ 200mm.
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/672/img6122bc7.jpg

Those last two were taken sitting down, but hand-holding the lens.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why buy an expensive lens, if you can't even take a simple pic in focus, with your kit lens????

Hehe, you weren't the only one thinking that.

Seriously though I knew the f/2.8 was big but I didn't realise it was that big. That is one serious lens!:D

I don't suppose anyone has a shot of one next to the 100-400L do they?

Congrats mate, I am very jealous.:(

Associate
Congrats on your purchase but I dont think your sample shots show the lens to anywhere near its potential!? Get outside today and up the shutter speed to stop the oof!

Soldato
OP
Why buy an expensive lens, if you can't even take a simple pic in focus, with your kit lens????
LOL well it is in focus, just blurred actually. Focus has nothing to do with it. At half eleven I couldn't really be bothered to fish around to get my tripod out, and for that I apologise, I will make a point of doing it in the future for you :)

The reasons I bought the lens were:
1) I was looking for an upgrade - either to the f/4 or f/2.8, but I recently won some money, so effectively, this came down in price considerably.
2) I'm doing a lot of advertising work at the minute - portraiture (clients include Yarm School, if you're interested) and posters for plays here at uni.
3) I do a fair amount of drama photography and without flash, a wide lens is essential in theatres.

Soldato
I agree... these lenses are built like tanks. :)

f/2.8 makes a heck of a difference in low light. I love my Sigma but wish it had stabilisation as it's a pretty heavy beast!

gt

Soldato
Sorry have to make these observations, no offence intended, but
Camera shake,
Incorrect white balance setting,
No flash used,
No tripod used,
Didn't up the ISO setting
Didn't use the 50mm F1.8 to get a higher shutter instead of kit lens.
Sample pictures.... :(

Obviously the excitement the postie brought has caused a lapse in concentration ;)........ I think a goods nights sleep, out of sight of the new lens..;) and show us some stunning pictures tomorrow........ Oh yeah and I'd like one too !!! LOL

Soldato
OP
Camera shake ... I've already explained about the tripod. Jesus, I'm sorry!
Incorrect white balance setting ... I shot them off to look at the IS. Other than that they're untouched. Actually with magnolia walls, these WBs are fairly accurate anyway.
No flash used ... I was showing the IS - how can I do that with flash?
No tripod used ... showing the IS.
Didn't up the ISO setting ... showing the IS.
Didn't use the 50mm F1.8 to get a higher shutter instead of kit lens ... fair enough I guess. Not the end of the world, accept my humble apologies. If I had used a camera phone for that photo instead, would I still be being bashed?

Soldato
I think 9designs2 was taking the proverbial ;)

Nice lens. It'll be good to see some proper shots soon.

I've got the f/4L non IS coming hopefully next week. No doubt I'll start a thread up all of my own due to my excitement! :D

Back
Top Bottom