Contacts - getting them in is a pain...!!

Soldato
Is it just me, or is it quite normal to find one more difficult than the other?

My right contact usually goes in instantaneously and feels comfortable straight off the bat - however, my left one is usually a PITA and takes a few minutes and feels noticeably uncomfortable for 5-10 mins, after which it settles down.

Of course, on the flipside, on a good day it goes straight in.....

nam

nam

Soldato
it takes practice and time, can put mine in without any mirror now,

Although i am considering the lasereye surgery as my eyesight prescription has been stable for the last 2 years

Soldato
Same, First week was so annoying, took forever and they just kept popping straight back out because of air id trapped.

Now its a few seconds per eye but I hate putting them in, in the morning because it burns my eyes......which cant really be good :eek:

Soldato
First few weeks it took me an absolute age to get them in. Now, 3 years later (god, has it been that long!) I can do the whole lot in less than a couple of minutes (that includes digging through the bag, getting out the lens pot, solution, mirror, tissues, putting them in, and packing it all away)

Soldato
God when I first got mine took me bloody ages, I used to have a medical type routine, i'd wash them out for ages with the solution, make sure my hands are super clean and dry and take ages to put them in.
Had them for around 3 years now, i'm really quick with them and have found the right contacts for me so they don't get dry quickly.

Soldato
You'll get quicker the more you do it. I've been wearing RGP lenses for nearly 3 years now and can put them in in a matter of seconds. Takes me a minute or two to clean them though before putting them away.

Soldato
The first time i put contacts in i'd gone into the bathroom and left my glasses on my bed. I walked back into my bedroom with my contacts on, and the first thing i did was put my glasses back on. Yowser! :p

My best tip is to breathe out as you're putting them in. It stops the blinking reflex. It really does work.

Soldato
i used to have to use a peroxide solution followed by a seperate neutraliser (none of this all in one stuff :p)

After a particularly heavy night I accidentally put the lens in without the neutraliser. You'd think it would be easy to get out but no, my eye screwed up completely and I could not get it open, nor could I see - it was the most painful thing I have ever, ever experienced.

I had to go to the hospital and have an eyewash :o

Desmo has a far nastier lens related story though iirc :D

Associate
most annoying thing for me is when I've been wearing my glasses for a bit and swapped over to my contacts, I keep poking the bridge of my nose to push my glasses back up :D

Hehe so true.

I tend to put my glasses back on when im in the house, as your not meant to wear your contacts for more than 9 hours at a time.

You gradually get used to putting them in, been wearing them for about 3 months now.

Its very annoying when they fall on the floor, when you are trying to put them in.

Soldato
I've used daily lenses for at least 4 or 5 years and could never go back to the old clean and rinse versions. After a long day it is nice to get rid of them though, but other than that I forget all about them during the day.

I've only ever had one slight horror story with a contact lens. This was when one of them split in half and I couldn't find the other half :eek:. Trouble was I didn't realise it had happened at first and just thought I had developed some sort of eye infection. Two days later my eye had enough and almost literally spat the offending fragment out. Much to my surprise, but blessed relief!

That is the slight problem with contacts, they do desensitize the eyes, which I'm sure could cause problems given the right set of unfortunate events.

That said contact lenses gave me a massive confidence boost. No more going out in public peering through bullet proof glasses or blundering around with blur 'o' vision! :D

Associate
I didnt realise contact lenses had a right way in? I just put mine in and they feel fine (unless I always put them in the right way for the past year).

I do find the right eye a lot easier than my left though. I cant seem to open my left eye as much as I can as my right. My left eye is quite closed, the contact is too big for my eye so have to sort of angle it to get it in.

I still remember the first time I put them in, I was so amazed that I could see without glasses :D Felt good!

Soldato
I've only ever had one slight horror story with a contact lens. This was when one of them split in half and I couldn't find the other half :eek:. Trouble was I didn't realise it had happened at first and just thought I had developed some sort of eye infection. Two days later my eye had enough and almost literally spat the offending fragment out. Much to my surprise, but blessed relief!

That's happened to me soooo many times! Panic each time too :p

I didnt realise contact lenses had a right way in? I just put mine in and they feel fine (unless I always put them in the right way for the past year).

Yeah there is - if you hold one on the end of your finger and look at it then turn it inside out you should see a pretty distinct difference between them - described by my optician to me as like a cup (the wrong way) and a saucer (the right). Pretty difficult to tell sometimes (specially if the lens is very wet) because you really need to see it both ways at once to see sometimes. Other times (and the dryer the lens) it's obvious which is the right and wrong way out!

Back
Top Bottom