Upgrade Crysis, for crysis :)

Associate
Just finished the Crysis demo (64bit version) and loved it, apart from one big issue. my current rig isnt doing the graphics justice. im a lil dispaointed, as was under the impression crysis would be so well optimised that my rig could handle it with ease at high/very settings.

main details of rig;

Abit Ab9 mobo
E6600 running at 3.2, stable (artic freezer 7)
4 x 1gb corsair value 667 ram (currently at 700 something, stable)
Gainward golden sample 320mb 8800 gts (580 and 1600mhz)
600w PSU
Vista 64 premium
19" widescreen monitor (1400x900 res)

I currently run it at the monitors natural res, no AA, all on medium apart from texture and water, which are on high.
Fraps gives me an average of about 25-30fps on big action scences, but struggles with cut scences and bigger landscape sections.
I dont want to turn anything down, so an upgrade or 2 is my only choice (i assume and yes ive switched off all background tasks etc...).
Im guessing the graphic card ram is the 'bottleneck' causing me problems.

So..... firstly, graphic cards; i know the new GT is a step up from my current card, but im thinkin im best waiting for the new GTS. im assuming it'll be the model up from the GT. anybody got an idea of price for the GTS yet?? should i just go for a current GTX??
Also considering installing a Q6600 CPU, the new GO stepping version, is it worth it from what i have, considering my 'needs' or is there an newer alternative looming within a few weeks. or just stick with what i have.

All opinions, options and alternatives welcome
Cheers;)

Man of Honour
Soldato
I wouldn't think it was the memory size as 1440 x 900 isn't really all that large. Have you tried overclocking the GPU and/or the CPU?

Perhaps it's worth checking in the PC Games forum to see what kind of rigs people are running with Crysis. I'd expect an E6600 and a GTS to be able to handle the game pretty well.

Soldato
personally can't see any reason why that can't play crysis at reasonable fps. Have you updated the nvidia drivers, tried running in 32bit mode perhaps?

Associate
I agree with the above, thats a decent rig and should be able to handle crysis in high settings no problem. I'd guess something was slowing it down, time for a re-install, turn the anti virus off, latest driverd, somthing like that. I can run crysis in med on 1280 x 1024 on my rig with no probs, so surprised your having trouble

Soldato
Its the post processing effects.

Turn that tab to low and you "should" be able to ramp everything else up to high.
They eat the FPS and look rubbish, so turn them off.

Associate
OP
that defo helped atpbx. currently running at
1400x900
tex q - very high
object q - high
shadow q - med
physics q - med
shader q - med
volumetric effects q - med
game effects q - med
postprocessing - low
particules - med
water - high
sound high
no AA

ive been testing through the last part of the demo, where u go through the blockade, by the radio mast. after killing troops u meet up with your team by the boat.
with above settings, ive been averaging about 30 fps (3 times through on each variation of settings)
im still disapointed i cant get more from it. am i missing something??
is an upgrade still i viable option??

Associate
hopefully the final product will perform better and perhpas with the release of patches and driver you will see better performance. But most people are having problems with it on high settings, and if you really want to play it well i suggest you wait until more powerful hardware emerges

Associate
Id say ask on the crysis thread int he PC games forum, the post on theres quite extensive and theres recent tweak file links that have been posted recently.

At all settings set to high in xp, 3.2ghz and a 8800gts 1680*1050 i get 32fps in the graphics framerate test, and thats with the custom directx10 stuff files too.

Want an easy 10fps ? Upgrade to xp ;)

Associate
The Crysis demo was TERRIBLY optimized. Once the full game is released, you rig SHOULD be able to handle it on high no problem.

Wait until the full game is released, try it out, if it still sucks, upgrade.

Soldato
Basically this is the system I have running crysis at 1440 x 900.

6300 @ 2.9
4GB
GTS 320mb
Vista 64bit

on DX9 I can run it all on full perfectly smooth.

on DX10 can barely push Medium / High.

Says it all.

Im going to be getting a GT very soon (hopefully get some info on the new GTS soon, then ill make up my mind)

Associate
on DX9 I can run it all on full perfectly smooth.

Can you try adding AA too? Be interesting to see how the GTS fairs up against the GT, and the GT in SLI.
In XP and all settings to high and AAx4, I can get around a 50FPS average, gonna try it with Vista again later today, and I bet it gets crippled in DX10.

Back
Top Bottom