• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is OCZ GameXstream 700W enough for x1950 Pro AGP?

Associate
Hi,

I'm reading confusing reports as to what an x1950 Pro AGP card really needs to power it. Most forum posts/eBay listings recommend 30 amps on the 12 volt rails but my power supply's 4 rails are listed as 18 amps each as shown here. Surely this supply can handle this card as I bought it with the latest cards in mind?

PS Just in case it really is a 600W supply instead (memory fails me) is that ok too?

Last edited:

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I'm running a GTX with a 700Watt OCZ now and it also handles the 2900 overclocked (overclock in sig). It'll be fine as -K- & Billy have said. I reckon the 600watt one would run my rig fine too.

Associate
OP
Thought it should be ok. So if a card says it requires 30amps on the 12v rails, you can just total the amps on all 12v rails together then (18 x 4 = 72 amps for the OCZ)?

Soldato
No current graphics card is gonna require 30A on the 12-volt. That would mean it drew 360W!

The recommendations are probably for 30A total for a system with the card in it. In that case the load is shared between your rails, so you have more than enough power.

Soldato
No current graphics card is gonna require 30A on the 12-volt. That would mean it drew 360W!

The recommendations are probably for 30A total for a system with the card in it. In that case the load is shared between your rails, so you have more than enough power.

360W that's what card will soon require, if AMD/ATi and Nvidia keep on the way they are :rolleyes:

Soldato
I had a X1950Pro on AGP paired with a P4 650 and powering it was an 300W Zoostorm PSU was a little project PC and it ran fine! 3DMark06 had it in the 5000 area IIRC, the X1950Pro is an excellent buy if you are still on AGP.

So I would say 600W is plenty :eek: Heck my system in my sig is running on virtually the same PSU and it has some beefy power hungry monsters :D:D

Soldato
As long as the PSU u have is from a reputable company then you can rely on the power rating as being quite accurate.

I have the PCi-E version of the card in question and it runs quite happily on my 480w Antec Neopower.

Back
Top Bottom