Warhammer 40,000

Soldato
Tabletop version.

I couldn't find me any threads on this, and I want to ask for the opinions of any OcUKers who play.
I'm a necron player, with a nice 4000 point army (Yay apocalypse). I've been looking at trying to get at least one squad of everything, to give me a larger army choice for battles. However, the Pariah unit has stumped me.
36 points, armed with a gauss blaster (S5 AP4 24" assault 2) and a warscyth (close combat, no armour saves allowed, not even invulnerable).
Pariah stats: WS4 BS4 S5 T5 W1 I3 A1 Ld10 Sv3+
Rules: Enemy units with a model within 12" of a pariah count as Lv7 unless it would be lower
Psykers within 6" of a pariah must make a leadership test at the start of their turn or fall back.
Fearless.

I just can't decide if a squad of these would be useful or not.
Ranged weapon wise, its the same weapons that Immortals have, but the immortals are only 28 points per model.
In close combat, they have an insanely powereful weapon, a terminator killer. However, they suffer from the lack of initiative that all necrons do, meaning that most of the units I would want to get them into combat with would wipe most of the squad out before I get to do anything.
Plus, and this is the cruncher, they aren't classed as Necrons. No We'll be back, no ressurection, no teleporting out of monoliths.

I'm just not sure. Playing a squad of them would paint a rather large target on them, an I would have to run them straight at whatever psycic/special characters they have, to try and get use out of the squad. As I'm pretty sure they would get the enemy focussing a lot of firepower on them, to prevent them getting into combat.
so, they would be a good decoy/meat shield. However, the ideal meat shield is either cheap or expendable. The models are all expensive, and unlike nearly every other necron unit, once one dies, its dead for good.

So, any necron players with other ideas on the Pariah? Any other people even play 40k?

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I used to play Imperial guard (and space marine). There would be several table top battles going on in my local shop and I would take great pleasure in firing my basilisks over 2 tables to randomly blow things up on the third.

Not realistic but highly annoying.

I gave up because the only place you could get vaguely interesting games going was in the shops, and slowly they became too nazi in there. No special characters, no special weapons etc Whats the point in buying the white gold expensive models if I can't use them??

Associate
I've gotten into them again recently, just on the painting side.

I think the smaller games GW produced were always more fun than the bigger games like Fantasy and 40k. Necromunda, Mordenheim, Bloodbowl, Space Hulk, Warhammer Quest. All really good, fun games, but seem to have been binned now because they didn't use as many models and thus weren't as profitable. The LOTR game is shocking. The models are awful.

Beyond that, the retail experience of going into Games Workshop is very unpleasant. The place is full of snotty nerdy kids, and even snottier nerdy adults. The sales guys are on par with mobile phone salesmen for being pushy and irritating. The shops also tend to smell of BO.

But yea, I enjoy painting the models.

Soldato
I generally think that the Pariah units offer an excellent diversion tactic during any play. As you say they can have quite a large target painted over them and this paint can run and dribble off of the side of the table and then you have paint on the table and the floor and before you know it you've written an entire management finance assignment and its 3:38 in the morning and your thinking what am i reading here, where am i, and why do my eyes hurt and you realise its because the screen you've been sat in front of is blasting out digital information your brain doesn't want or need and your eyes are sat there, forced to sift through the never-ending abyss of the internet and its mound of questions without answers.

;)

Time for bed, or the medication, can never remember which i need first or if they are the same.

Commissario
Nothing wrong with playing 40k (i'm currently painting up some Tau*).

Personally I would think they could be very handy, sure the lowish initiative is going to cause some problems at times, but it's the trade off for a very powerful weapon so even if a squad of them only takes out one or two high points models in hand to hand (and some more in ranged combat) they would probably be worth it in at least some games.

As for them being a big target, from my limited experience a cheap squad can help there, either as gun bait or part of a fishing line (hook em and reel em in to heavy fire/out of the way).
Gun drones are great for this with tau, especially when facing a Khorne army (one team of gun drones kept about 300+ points of blood crazed marines and daemons tied up for 2-3 turns).

*I've currently got
4x crisis suits (with magnetised weapon systems)
18 FW's
14 Kroot
3x piranha's
hammerhead loads of drones
painted, and another 9 crisis suits, 6 stealthis, hammerhead/gunray, devilfish, 14 kroot, 14 kroot hounds (i went a bit mad), 3x knarloc and hundreds of drones to paint.

Suspended
use them as the hammer in a hammer and anvil tactic, a cheaper unit to engage and absorb your target and then move and attack with your pariah. should be doable no?

they are kind of like Falxmen in Rome Total war if you've ever had experience with that game.

Permabanned
Try the forums over at warseer.com. Full of advice over there. I used to play Eldar when I was about 14 but I've recently started painting the models again. Got a WIP Basilisk. Always wanted one of those. Hopefully I'll get that giant paint set for Christmas. Need to work on my paint skills more.

Soldato
Been thinking of digging out my paints again, all got thrown into a box somewhere when I moved.

Would like to find a forum for painting tips, because my skill level is basic at best.
When I was still in London, I had the offer of some painting lessons from the staff in the shop, unfortunately I didn't take them up on the offer and it's a bit too far away now to be worth the trip.

Soldato
I can see the fascination. Hundreds of figurines, hand painted, rules, complex environments, clustering interaction...

I just can't get into that sort of thing though, first of all, the people who tend to play it are incredibly dull. I wanted to say something along the lines of "its also not mainstream" but I actually don't care - mainstream is retarded, generally. Still, its not something I'd admit to doing, it tends to carry fairly negative stereotyping.

Caporegime
To be honest my opinion is if you're afraid to admit to doing something then you're not comfortable with yourself. I'm not a bad looking bloke, very social, a fair few manly interests, and I can pull nice women... I just happen to have some very geeky intersts and i'm not afraid to admit it because i'm comfortable with who I am. Plus it also helps being a good mick-taker out of yourself and others, but being Northern certainly helps with that. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom