a job in computing

Associate
AcidHell2 do you need any form of qualifications to work on the tracks ? what is it that you do actually ? is the money good ?

As Jez as said I would avoid going into I.T, aim for something bigger like engineering. I wish i was 16 again. we never had the amount of apprenticeship schemes you have today. its only one month now til my 24th so most places wont take you on as an apprentice

Man of Honour
I guess it depends if we are talking proper, true consultants or the sort of consultant you find in Phones4u with a badge saying 'Sales Consultant'.... :/

Caporegime
IT consultant fall into the 'fake consultant' category.

The nature of being a consultant means you were employed to talk to people who dont know anything, hence why little knowledge is needed, just the ability to blag

Man of Honour
You don't need real experience to know the truth.

The poeple I have met that are "consultants" know very little about the now.

But a lot of stories about the past ,that in truth mean nothing in IT, as the tech changes that quickly.

Not so sure I agree with that. I deal with a mix of people from the big consultancies such as Accidenture :) and also individual contractors. The kids from Accidenture tend to be straight out of Uni (not all) and can give some quite terrible advice. Sure they know how to use the latest buzzwords, cook up a mean Excel spreadsheet, and tell you to use the latest technologies. But the end result is frequently poo.

On the other hand, most of the independant consultants have been around the block for years and really do seem to know their stuff.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;10462446 said:
or the sort of consultant you find in Phones4u with a badge saying 'Sales Consultant'.... :/

the kind that when you walk in the shop and start looking at the phones come over and ask if you need help when you obviously are only looking at the phones and don't need his help to pick one, then when you go up to them for some help they listen to you and dissappear in the back for 20minutes.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;10462446 said:
I guess it depends if we are talking proper, true consultants or the sort of consultant you find in Phones4u with a badge saying 'Sales Consultant'.... :/

What makes a true consultant then?

A phones 4 u guy is not a consultant.

A guy talking to me about the latest developments in the VLE is something else.

Man of Honour
AcidHell2 do you need any form of qualifications to work on the tracks ? what is it that you do actually ? is the money good ?

Depends what you want to do, it's a huge sector. I'm the lowest of the low at the moment a "shovel technician" as I like to call it. For that all you need to do is speak English.

But you have a whole list of jobs just a few examples

The bottom of the pile
permanent way - which is what I am, general maintenance.
Signal and telecoms
Ultrasonics - use ultrasound to test track
Welders - do arc and

Mid level
Technical officer - do calculations for things like metal stress and attend big jobs.
Bridge and structure inspectors - inspect structures for damage
working on track machinery aka specialized trains

High level
designers, track, geometry, signals, telecoms, structures, bridges (what I would like to get into).
Managers
engineers
mobile operation manager - responds to incidents as well as other things, usually now the rule book very well.

if your young, it's much better doing some qualifications.

A engineering degree is very useful, they also have a sponsored rail degree up in sheffield, not much good unless you stay in the railway. They also have an apprenticeship which Usually brings you in as a technical officer.

The pay isn't bad, I'm on 17,200 which isn't a lot, but it's only a 35hr week and you don't need any experience or education.

The mid to high level jobs are very well paid. Most jobs apart from office based ones is shift work, including nights and weekends.

Also we have a very very strict drugs and alcohol policy. If your found to have anything in your system it's an instant sack and 5 year ban from the industry. even office staff are checked. But there less likely. Never had a random rugs test though, but any incidents that happen you have to stay on site and be drugs tested ( I have had this)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Consultant

con·sult·ant

1. a person who gives professional or expert advice: a consultant on business methods.

2. a person who consults someone or something.

Appologies for thread hijack!

Associate
Do you really want to work on computers all day?
Sat there doing routine and boring things?

yeh I would look at engineering based apprenticeships.

I have not read this thead, but I am in year 10 and I am pretty good on computers but I know that I don't want to be stuck on a computer every day for the rest of my life lol. Especially if you use them a lot at home.

Man of Honour
EVERYONE! Beacuse no body in any senior positions within companies understand technology. All the people with the knowledge and skills in technical areas spend all their time being code monkys. Directors get there by blagging and getting other people to do the donkey work and then get the credit for it. If you go in pretending to understnad you will get far. atleast untill a couple of placement students question your methods and tell you your wrong!

:)

I like sitting in my networking lectures looking at all the coders and thinking to myself that Im the only one there with any Business qualifications and any experience...

Something esle. Only 2 industries in the world call their customers 'Users'. The IT industry, and the drugs industry....
Where're you doing a networking course? AFAIK there's only a few places that do it so you may be on my course....

Associate
I am in a similar position, i just don't know what to do, graphics, IT or something like that.
I hear negative things about both of them, got to the point where i don't know what to do or how to get there, heh.
Wouldn't mind something well paid and something that i am interested in (as we all do) but i have been told there is no money in graphics or IT any more until you have spent a long time in the industry which is understandable.
I am just looking for some options right now, IT, graphics, cars, law, something to do with electricals and probably more i just can't think of any and of the above i can't think of anything specifically, anyone want to suggest something like the above or where i can find more information about the above?
I would be willing to do apprenticeships training, uni etc, i am in my second year of college doing relevant to the above bar graphics and law, expecting B-C grades.
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Caporegime
I am in a similar position, i just don't know what to do, graphics, IT or something like that.
I hear negative things about both of them, got to the point where i don't know what to do or how to get there, heh.
Wouldn't mind something well paid and something that i am interested in (as we all do) but i have been told there is no money in graphics or IT any more until you have spent a long time in the industry which is understandable.
I am just looking for some options right now, IT, graphics, cars, law, something to do with electricals and probably more i just can't think of any and of the above i can't think of anything specifically, anyone want to suggest something like the above or where i can find more information about the above?
I would be willing to do apprenticeships training, uni etc, i am in my second year of college doing relevant to the above bar graphics and law, expecting B-C grades.
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Do something you enjoy.

There are to many people wasting money at the weekend thinking they are having a good time when in fact they dread the working week.

Its balance.

A job you don't dread is 80% part of the answer.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't like to do a job in graphics because of all the planning then drafting then checking for errors then creating the product then having the client not like the result then starting again etc.

it's whatever floats your boat though mate.
There was an ad on tv not so long ago about being a games designer, 30k a year. So if your doing graphics maybe game design is something to look into (unless thats a dead end job aswell now).

Back
Top Bottom