Mouse DPI Help

Associate
Hi,

I've tried looking for an answer to this but everywhere I look describes a different problem. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

My MX510 cursor doesn't move smoothly in Microsoft's Windows XP. I estimate that it jumps two pixels in the direction I'm moving it. This makes FPS games quite jerky when I look around.

The thing is, I'm using the mouse and keyboard on a KVM, and when I use it switched to the other computer, running linux, it's as smooth as Steven Seagal before he got fat, so I know it's not the mouse or the KVM. Something wrong with the PC or XP.

The KVM emulates a standard mouse, so XP doesn't see it as a MX510 (all buttons still work with it, though). Even when I plug the mouse directly into the computer, XP recognises it as a MX510, and it still happens.

There must be some setting in MSWin that can fix this.

Please help :-/

Associate
OP
Wow, I just fixed it!

Thanks, niko, but the mouse speed was already set to lowest and acceleration disabled. The problem happened even when I moved the mouse as slow as I could, which is how I was able to count the number of pixels it jumped.

Wouldn't you know it, but I just found that changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Mouse/Mouse Sensitivity from 14 to 10 fixed it. I guess 14 was too high. The mouse control panel itself, I found, wouldn't let me change the mouse speed for some reason, and the acceleration radio buttons were greyed out.

Anyway, problem fixed and I hope this little thread proves useful for someone :)

Back
Top Bottom