My future career.

Associate
Hi all, I am starting to think about my future. I have been into pc's since the age off 6 or 7 ( My dad owned a computer business). I only have a few more months left at school. I have been thinking about two things i think i would enjoy as a job.

Plan 1

Finish school go to cambridge collage and learn cisco or a simular cource at collage.

Plan 2

Finish school go to collage or get an apprenticeship in plumbing.

Basicly what this topic is about to see comments on what other people would do and if they have done the cources i have looked into. The only thing that puts me off computers people say its very hard work, you have to work long hours ect?

many thanks Phil

Last edited:
Associate
if you don't want to work hard, i suggest the dole...

i can't believe plumbing is your easy option?
long hours, rubbish pay (as an apprentice), and then even if you end up in the best position and own your own company - lot's of money, but loooooads of hours

beh

beh

Associate
Plan 2. Plumbers and other tradesmen are in high demand. Good money once qualified and reasonable flexibility compared to standard 9-5 weekday office jobs.

Man of Honour
I agree, thats what I'd do but each to their own I guess.

I think everyone should goto uni if they can. It really does give you some amazing momories, you meet some great people and if you work hard, you'll have a decent job at the end of it.

Having to move to another part of the country and lose the comfort zone of your family really does mature you quite a lto as well :)

Burnsy

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Firstly, correct 'finish'

Secondly, go to college and do some normal A levels.

Thirdly, go to Uni and have a great three years then get a decent graduate job :)

Burnsy

Thats the kind of single track advice i was given when i was 16. Very much regret bothering with uni now, total waste of time for me, its not for everyone - i am now a few years behind my friends when it comes to earning.

I would take the apprenticeship route every time, but thats not to say either way is right or wrong.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the comments, I try to spell the best i can. I have dyslexia but thats no excuse i guess. I am trying my best to get a good grade in english (My mum has even got me a tutor) I think i am going to go to collage and then possible get a job or carry onto uni, I have heard that uni is the best time off your life.

Associate
i'm in excatly the same position mate. I made a thread about this aswell and computers is not the way to go. Plumbing is though, if you want to do this the go and find a local reputable plumbing business A.S.A.P, walk in and ask if there is an apprentiship going. Best to get it sorted now as places for plumbing aprentiships are limited and the demand is high.

You have to do what you want to do. My mum and dad (mum especially) have always wanted me to go to college then onto uni but i've never really wanted to stay in education. I don't like school but that dosn't mean i dont try. I am targeted c's and b's which will at least give me a GCSE pass which is all i'm bothered about, i'm not too bothered about A's A*'s etc. To me college is an extended version of school (which is what it basically is) and i can't stand the thought of doing another 3 odd years in education. Then i heard about apprentiships. Even though you do go college when your on a apprentiship you get to work as a plumber (or whatever your doing the apprentiship in) and go to college a few times a week, also you earn a fairly decent wage (minium £80 a week) and some pay travel expenses etc.

Man of Honour
i'm in excatly the same position mate. I made a thread about this aswell and computers is not the way to go.
I hate to drag out this old chestnut from the cellar, but a computer science degree from a good university is far more useful than people who did IT at Teeside would like to admit.

Associate
OP
I think for me computers would be the way to go. I can pretty much do any task, I even had a few servers in london. I have worked with linux ect. I think it will be the way for me!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If you make the most of it, it really can be :)

Burnsy

I just dont get this. While i appreciate a lot of people have a good time at uni, i fail to see how it can be better than being in your early 20's working with friends, going out on big nights out, all driving fast cars and having expensive flats/houses etc

The financial contraints of uni killed it for me totally.

Man of Honour
I just dont get this. While i appreciate a lot of people have a good time at uni, i fail to see how it can be better than being in your early 20's working with friends, going out on big nights out, all driving fast cars and having expensive flats/houses etc

Gaining experience with world class professors, feeding your quest for knowledge, working hard, playing harder, all with more friends than you could ever hope and the potential for more friends than you would ever need.

Your reasoning on accomadation is totally rubbish. Home is what you make it.

Why was university so financially constricting? A student loan and a job over the summer (and winter) seems to be more than enough to keep most people afloat. Of course, most will be leaving university with debt but if it enables you to secure a great graduate job, you will be laughing.

Permabanned
Pffft, well if you do decide to go to Uni DO NOT go into halls. It's one of the worst decisions I have made....ever.

Every night I have to put up with drunken idiots coming in at some ridiculous hour in the morning making ridiculous amounts of noise for about an hour before they finally bugger off to sleep, and there's the noise of drunken idiots outside too.

You can't reason with them because they're so out of their face they can't take you seriously and they end up laughing at you, then they stand out in the hall talking about you, insulting you at the top of their voices for the next hour whilst you try to get to sleep. ******* ridiculous. God help me, one day I will snap.

Man of Honour
Pffft, well if you do decide to go to Uni DO NOT go into halls. It's one of the worst decisions I have made....ever.

I have a different opinion of this, uni halls can be great, most of the people I know have moved in to private housing with their halls buddies, it's not necessarily all bad, besides, if your one of the drunks you won't care ;)

I agree with ever word of this :)

Burnsy

Soldato
i'm in excatly the same position mate. I made a thread about this aswell and computers is not the way to go. Plumbing is though, if you want to do this the go and find a local reputable plumbing business A.S.A.P, walk in and ask if there is an apprentiship going. Best to get it sorted now as places for plumbing aprentiships are limited and the demand is high.

So based on some post on an internet forum, you have decided not to go into IT? In my opinion it shows you have a very weak mind, you should have went ahead and one IT and found out how much you liked it.

Soldato

Man do you think, everyone that doesn't go to uni does this? I understand that you and a few friends might be in that position, but it doesn't happen to everyone. You may off had a few lucky breaks and so have your m8's, but if you didn't have them, would you be posting the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom