• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's got the Hottest 8800GT

Associate
My fan never ever changed from 29% even in games, just stick to 29 unless drivers are causing problem?

Mine is the same. Always at 29.00% fan speed. BFG OC.

Idle ~60C
In-game ~91C
Fan always 29.00%

Only time the fan goes faster is first second of power-up.

I know I can change settings etc., but is the defaults as designed?

Soldato
OP
018800gtstockautobigwaynr1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
108800gtstockcomparebigcn5.jpg

Been on the lash so no updates from me the past few days. I'm still haven't got that fan profile thing sorted but should be done later tonight. Deffo gonna get a 3rd party cooler for myself but other people may not wanna mod their cards so the information in this thread should prove handy.

I can't hear the fan until its just over 45% but looking at the chart above I can see thats not gonna be fast enough to cool the chip (and PCB) well but anything up to 65% is still useable if your not playing a quiet game?

Over 65% it starts to make a whinney sound and would do my nut in after any length of time, if you game with headphones on then this is a non issue.

Will post back once I sourced a nice cool, laters! :)

Associate
Does anyone know how to control both fans in sli i can only control the first gpu's fan the other is running at 29% constantly (i think) which causes it to overheat. Im using the latest drivers and rivatuner.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know how to control both fans in sli i can only control the first gpu's fan the other is running at 29% constantly (i think) which causes it to overheat.
Good question Scooby, I wish I had an answer for you! If you've read the charts above then I'm sure you will agree these cards are toasty with there single slot coolers, I would imagine running a pair in SLI would make them even hotter!

I am hoping there is someway to re-flash this cards BIOS with a better config for the fan controller, either that or its gonna have to be 3rd party cooling all round, that could prove tricky for a SLI setup?

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I've not got a GT but I'd like to say a big thank you to Big Wayne for the excellent temperature review. It might not affect me but it could help me to help others as well as give a good indication that these things are hot as a lot of people will see the temps under load and freak out a little.

Good show man ;).

Soldato
Indeed. Cheers Wayne. Think i've finally got my fan settings how i want them in Rivatuner after a couple of days testing in games.

60% fans when it hits over 65 degrees - seems to maintain it around 65-75 nicely in most games, and in the odd case that it gets stressed more than that, the fans hit 100% at 85 degrees. :)

Associate
Great stuff there BigWayne, nice concise info. Stock just seems to hot though tbh... (and yes my GTS did hit similar temps however i was never happy with them either!)

I have just ordered an Accelero S1 and ram sinks.... i bet they arrive before the GT though! will hook the accelero up wth a 120mm yate loon to get a nice cool gpu temp

Will post results when i get them all up and running.

Back
Top Bottom