mondeo v6 insurance questions

Man of Honour
hi guys

i think theres a few people on here who had/have 2.5 v6 mondeos when they were <20 years old, just wondered;

who were the insurance comany
was it in your name
do have ncb
how much ?

do the cars have any common problems?

are they as sharp/nice to drive as a focus?

Man of Honour
do the cars have any common problems?

Plastic impellor in waterpump goes. Head gasket then fails on engnie, £1k to fix. Replace the pump with the newer metal version. IMRC fails, engine will be down on power. Again, cheap to fix.

are they as sharp/nice to drive as a focus?

Not quite, no. The 2.0 is the best handling as it's marginally lighter up front.

Associate
Which 2.5V model are you looking to go for as there are a few variants out there, GLX I think is one, then there is the ST24 and the one I have the ST200.

Fox mentioned the water pump, this was the first thing I changed on my car with it having done 44K miles when I brought it, a mate of mine's has done around 120k miles never having had it changed as far as he knows - but it is not something I would risk for what it costs compaired to what it costs if it goes wrong.

Handling, again Fox might have a point about the 2.0 engine Mondeo up to the point of the ST200 which will make mince meat out of any other really and will give a ST220 a good run for their money as well. Handling is VERY positive, I find the car VERY well balanced and predictable when throwing it around the suspension is excellent with minimal roll, providing you have some good tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1's) all round then your set.

Other models of Mondeo's might handle differently I know my parent had a 1.6 Aspen as their car some time ago and that was a totally different ride to my ST. Compaired to a Focus....thats a difficult one as I have not driven a focus, best thing I'd say is go and try both.

Insurance costs though on the ST range is NOT cheap and i'm now the older side of 25 ;)

Stu

Soldato
[TW]Fox;10474025 said:
Not quite, no. The 2.0 is the best handling as it's marginally lighter up front.

that's offset by the considerably better shocks / arbs etc.....so unless you uprate them it's very similar handling wise, maybe even marginally better on the 2.5 (the engine isnt as heavy as you'd expect). Remember i moved from one to the other :)

One thing you might come across whilst looking is a strnage sound called "moosing", really loud foghorn type sound.....not an issue they all do it to some extent....its just a pipe resonating, and it's a £2 fix from B&Q (15mm pipe end with a 5.5mm hole drilled in it slipped into a vaccuum pipe)

the water pump is the big one, and its the housing that can be a problem too but mainly the water pump.

IMRC is a 4 bolt fix and you'll pick up a working IMRC from an owners group for £25-30. Way to test this, is once the car is warm, boot it. If it stops picking up above 4k ish, it's not working.....the car is a high revver, peak power is at over 6k rpm when the IMRC works.

big end failure is a common fault on them due to the Sump not being baffled, but only if you dont keep COMPLETELY on top of the oil....most people over fill slightly to compensate for the issue.

Basically, if the oil isnt on FULL or slightly over, on hard long sweeping right handers the oil surges to one side of the engine, starving one or more of the pistons of oil, causing friction and eventually engine failure....happened to me, but as long as you keep on top of the oil religiously you'll be fine :)

Alternators are also an issue, they fail like clockwork at around 90k miles....but it's a reasonably cheap fix, £100 for a refurb, £200 for a remanufactured one + around £100 labour depending who does it. You can tell this by the battery light coming on at high revs.

Right insurance. If you go for a Ghia X, it's cheap as chips and imo you should....it's got a far better interior, and if you either get one with RSAP or retrofit it and are going to sort the suspension out anyway, you'll gain NO benefit by getting an st24. ST200s are about double the money, and you can get all the bits to uprate your engine to an st200's for about £600 (i'm nearly done now ;)) At 18 when the car was stock it was £1800 a year TPFT in a bad postcode with 1 years NCB.

This is my 2.5l v6 Ghia X.....and i'm hoping itll brake 200bhp on saturday :) I'm gonna feel like a prune if i dont now :p

snowdon1_small.jpg

Mods from standard:

visual:ST200 alloys, 40mm drop on koni adjustable shocks and springs, detango,
performance: SVT lower and upper inlet manifolds, SVT throttle body, K&N 57i cone filter, dual exit powerflow exhaust with decat, mk3 ST220 300mm brakes, goodridge braided hoses.

Interior:

interior2.jpg

Tom.

Last edited:
Associate
so any insurance fiqures ?? this is my main concern.
On an ST200 model, a LOT, mine is currently over £700 a year and i'm approaching 27 with 4 years NCB.

Stu

P.S. In the current economic climate you need to take petrol costs into consideration as well as the V6 2.5 lumps are quite thirsty when driven correctly, on a long run I will average about 30mpg, knocking around town im in the low 20's.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my renewal through, £530 for me - 25 with 4 years NCD, ST200. The rest of the V6s are group 16 instead of 17 but would still be pretty expensive for any younger drivers with less NCD, I imagine. I'm with Elephant and Sainsburys had a pretty competitive price when I was shopping around recently.

Associate
Just had my renewal through, £530 for me - 25 with 4 years NCD, ST200. The rest of the V6s are group 16 instead of 17 but would still be pretty expensive for any younger drivers with less NCD, I imagine. I'm with Elephant and Sainsburys had a pretty competitive price when I was shopping around recently.

Hmm I need to shop around then as mine is due for renewal in January, should be looking under £500 at those figures :D lets see ehh.

Stu

Soldato
Went from a 2l to a v6 this summer, age 20. Insurance with Elephant, £720 TPFT.

Thirsty engine: close to 30mpg on a run, much lower day-to-day.

Generally I feel the impression on MEG etc is that the V6 isn't as reliable an engine as the Zetec, mainly because of the scary HGFs going around.

Oh, and feels like quite a narrow power band, but that just makes it more fun. :)

Soldato
I have a 1998 V6 Si and my insurance this year (at 21 with 3 years ncb) is £550 TPFT. I'm lucky to even get 30mpg on a run and day to day I am in the low 20's (less if you go for a 'spirited' drive). If you do a lot of miles you're likely to be spending a fortune on petrol but if the cost doesn't matter (or you don't do many miles) they are great value. I paid £1350 for my mondeo with 90k, FSH and in virtually immaculate condition.

Back
Top Bottom