which laptop drive?

Associate
I also agree! (check out storagereview.com).

Question is, is there anywhere I can actually get one from?!? no one seems to stock them. If anyone at OcUK knows when you're getting them in, please let me know

Soldato
OP
i've just been doing some reading (the reason i was looking into this was to upgrade my macbook... was gonna go to 2gb of ram and a 7200rpm hdd), and it would seem to be the case that if you go up to 4 gig of ram (which is cheaper than going for 2 gig and a hdd), then it negates the hdd speed... there was a lot of performance difference by adding the hdd if you had 1 gig of ram... but with 4 gig the performance difference was not noticable :)

i'm sure there would still be advantages in other areas but where it matters, i.e. the speed programs are running, whacking the ram right up seems to do the job... anyone agree?

Associate
well it depends if you need the capacity also. I'm looking for the 200gb Hitachi for my Macbook too; I have the 2Ghz white one so only have 80gb, which isn't enough. Also I tend to do quite a lot of writing and reading to/from the disk in the form of large file transfers and writing to MySQL databases. With my Macbook hooked up to a 22" LCD and a mouse/keyboard I effectively use it as a desktop replacement (not a gamer), so it makes sense to get the fastest and largest HDD available.

Unfortunately I got my Macbook just before the latest update so it doesn't support 4gb RAM, but 2gb seems pretty smooth to me (even with Leopard).

Back
Top Bottom