closed macbook though external monitor

Soldato
i have been doing plenty of reading for when my mac arrives, and one thing i came across is how people bitch a lot about the way the macbook deals with an external monitor...

something about when you shut the lid the computer goes to sleep and shuts off your wireless connection or summat?

is it not just as simple as with a windows machine? (or more simple being a mac?)

Soldato
I don't know how you do it with a windows machine, but the way i do it with my macbook is close the lid, it then goes to sleep, then i wake it with a tap on the keyboard. However when it goes to sleep it does disconnect from the wireless. If im using it in clamshell mode its at my desk anyway so i have an ethernet cable plugged in so its not a problem for me.

Soldato
Apparently the MacBook's cooling is based on the screen being open, so when closed it goes to sleep so as to not create any more heat.

That makes sense as the grill becomes covered when the lid's shut...

Not used mine in clamshell mode yet, I've got a perfectly good desktop, but I might need to when it becomes easier to do that than transferring files across in a specific way. Ethernet cable though if you have the availability, much easier.

Soldato
OP
whoa whoa whoa... i have no space on my desk to leave it open are you saying thats the only proper way to do it? i plan to use it for 95% of the time while shut :(

its arriving later today so too late to change my mind anyway... maybe i'll have to leave it open on the floor or summat :(

Soldato
I use my MacBook pro shut all the time, its easy to do it this way, open the lid slightly... just enough to get your hand in to press the power button, then close it again, and it stays on ya monitor.

Aslong as you have the monitor showing the dektop, you can open and close the lid as much as you want, cos it sees the image coming through there.

I NEVER use the laptop screen... unless I have to go in the office, so 99% of the time the lid is shut

Badically, no you do not need to leave it open at all, my MacBook Pro has been on for days closed and not had a single problem! Ill be getting a Mac Pro soon anyway, so it will be off all the time, but for now it stays shut!

Soldato
OP
well, got my new macbook just and i plan to start as i mean to go on, and this includes running on my external monitor...

i have it connected via VGA as a temporary measure until the DVI adapter arrives... if i run the monitor as an extended desktop it adopts its proper res (1680x1050) correctly and is not an issue, but in mirror mode it seems to max out at the macbook's top end (1280) - so looks awful on the external... i have no use for extended desktop mode so could someone please tell me how to enable mirror mode in the proper res?

and my second problem, maybe this is due to the fact that its a VGA adapter and not DVI, but when i shut the macbook, i can't get the external monitor to stay on :confused: - not that i want to use it in the res it currently is :(

any help greatly appreciated...

Soldato
OP
i figured it out, the display actually NEEDS to be shut to allow the full res on the external, while the macbook is open, the external display will only match the macbook at 1280x800

this is fine by me, and it looks bloody superb :D

Soldato
Why on earth would you buy a MBP to use it closed 95% of the time? :/

I didn't buy it, my work bought it for me. I didnt want a imac cos then im lumbered with a max 24" monitor (im on 30" now and anything smaller is too small)! and a Mac Pro was too expensive for me to ask them to buy me it :) And I want OS X... thats why.

But I am getting a Mac Pro soon, so the only time I use the MBP will be in the normal way!

Answered your question?

Soldato
OP
Why on earth would you buy a MBP to use it closed 95% of the time? :/
thats what i'm doin with my macbook...

the choice for me was between an imac and a macbook... i did my research and found the macbook to surprisingly only be lagging slightly behind in terms of performance... plus i have just bought 4 gig of ram which helps on that count...

it also meant i can use it as a dektop most of the time, but also have a laptop when i need...

ALSO my pc and mac now share a lurvly 22" samsung monitor whereas if i'd have bought an imac, i would have had two whoppin great bit monitors on my not so massive desk...

there are more reasons, but those are the main ones :)

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

yeah you just extend it :D

PLUS using macbook in clamshell mode is a supported conofiguration, so there is not going to be aby problems with overheating or anything like that (as long as you dont block the vents)

Soldato
OP
yeah you just extend it :D

PLUS using macbook in clamshell mode is a supported conofiguration, so there is not going to be aby problems with overheating or anything like that (as long as you dont block the vents)
i've got the back of my macbook rammed up real close to a fluffy pillow... REAL close... will this be ok?

Back
Top Bottom