How to buy an expiring domain?

Associate
I need to have a domain hosted on a site for 2 years and I want to have it hosted on another site for 1 year, as it's expiring in a couple of days.

I'm not familiar with the domain transfer feature offered by some hosts. If I transfer it to another host, would I have to pay for the transfer plus another year of registration?
It's currently on transfer lock. Should I wait for it to expire, then unlock it and register straight away with the other host? I'm worried a domain sale company might snap it before I can register again.

What would be the best move?

Soldato
Don't let it expire.

And any costs/fee's depend entirely on who you are moving it to. For instance, if you move to godaddy they charge a transfer fee (around $20 I think), but you get a year for free.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do the hosting company have control of the domain?

If yes you need to get it off them.

If no then you can simple renew it with your register and change the name servers to point towards a host.

Soldato
Wow, that's certainly changed since last time I looked at transfer pricing. Domain names are cheap as chips these days. A few days ago I got my latest .com for £3.50 (1 year). :cool:

That's why Godaddy is the biggest around. Plus all the competition around now.

Network Solutions are still charging $34.99 :o

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I think i'll opt for a transfer to Godaddy.
One thing though, I don't really understand their Transfer Pricing chart:

________1 yr 2 yrs 3 yrs 4 yrs 5 yrs 6 yrs 7 yrs 8 yrs 9 yrs
SAVE!
.COM* $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99 $6.99

Does that mean I would pay $69.90 instead of $99.99, if I transfer the domain and had it registered with them for 9 years?

Soldato
Does that mean I would pay $69.90 instead of $99.99, if I transfer the domain and had it registered with them for 9 years?

Yup, I think anyway.

I use GoDaddy too, woot woot. :p

Might buy another domain soon, can't decide between a few though. :o

PS. Podcasts with discount codes 4tw. :cool:

Soldato
My registrar recently asaked for £97 to renew my domain for 2 years.

Is this right? Can I get it cheaper? or is it a typical high renew price to get some 'dumb business'.

Soldato
123-reg.co.uk do free transfers of UK domains. Once it's ready to expire pay the current price to have it renewed (about £6 for 2 years min)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Nominet I think.

Is the process easy for moving it elsewhere?

I take it I have to move it, then renew with a new one.

Here's the thing... you probably registered it through an agent (ie. a registrar or hosting company) originally. As you have not renewed it, Nominet have sent you a pro forma invoice as a last chance to renew your domain before it expires, in case your registrar has gone bust.

If you go back to whoever you originally registered through, it should cost £5 to £10 to renew. Nominet only charge a higher fee so as not to compete with their clients and because, as a not-for-profit organisation, they don't want direct 'customers'.

Soldato
Here's the thing... you probably registered it through an agent (ie. a registrar or hosting company) originally. As you have not renewed it, Nominet have sent you a pro forma invoice as a last chance to renew your domain before it expires, in case your registrar has gone bust.

If you go back to whoever you originally registered through, it should cost £5 to £10 to renew. Nominet only charge a higher fee so as not to compete with their clients and because, as a not-for-profit organisation, they don't want direct 'customers'.

Ah I see, i'll try and work out who I bought it though originally.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom