Peer reviewed journals?

Associate
Hi guys

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, ive been given the task of doing a review of the two films, an inconvenient truth, and the great global warming swindle.

What im suppose to do is watch them both which i have done, establish the main points, and then research whether or not there points are correct in the current scientific climate, now ive been using Google and newscientist which is a great site but im also supposed to look at peer reviewed journals on the subject and this is where im having problems.

Im using my universities lit search but im having a hard time working out whether what im looking at is peer reviewed, and finding relevant journals.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice?

Associate
Once you have the citations for key publications a quick look at the journals website should make it clear whether or not the work is peer reviewed.

Where you have to be careful is if it is a news, summary or review, those may well not be reviewed but they should be citing work that is.

Soldato
I expect you'd be much better off using a proper scientific paper site rather than google and new scientist. I'm only familiar with using pubmed (for life sciences papers)... For relevant papers on global warming, and reviews into the strength of information, controversy etc, you'd want to use your university's subscription to web of knowledge or similar. You'd probably be best off doing a search for reviews to find the key papers to read.

Soldato
Hi guys

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, ive been given the task of doing a review of the two films, an inconvenient truth, and the great global warming swindle.

What im suppose to do is watch them both which i have done, establish the main points, and then research whether or not there points are correct in the current scientific climate, now ive been using Google and newscientist which is a great site but im also supposed to look at peer reviewed journals on the subject and this is where im having problems.

Im using my universities lit search but im having a hard time working out whether what im looking at is peer reviewed, and finding relevant journals.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice?

so you want to find sites where someone else in authority(peer reviewed) has gave their opinion so you can construct an argument based on it?

Associate
I expect you'd be much better off using a proper scientific paper site rather than google and new scientist. I'm only familiar with using pubmed (for life sciences papers)... For relevant papers on global warming, and reviews into the strength of information, controversy etc, you'd want to use your university's subscription to web of knowledge or similar. You'd probably be best off doing a search for reviews to find the key papers to read.

The best thing to use from goolgle is
http://scholar.google.co.uk/
which will focus on scholarly works

Caporegime
Not all of them are peer reviewed though.

It's likely that your Uni's lit search (I'm assuming its an acidemic literature database) will all be peer reviewed.

Burnsy

Just make sure you take articles from journal, even if it is a proceedings. Look up the journals IF (impact factor) to ascertain that it is quality journal.

Associate
so you want to find sites where someone else in authority(peer reviewed) has gave their opinion so you can construct an argument based on it?

Did you actually read what he typed? He needs to check that the science put forward in the two mentioned films is actually sound and not just based on some wackjob's personal opinion.

Soldato
Did you actually read what he typed? He needs to check that the science put forward in the two mentioned films is actually sound and not just based on some wackjob's personal opinion.

you're right i didnt really read it properly.... having a bad day

to the op:

You could always email the uni library asking for assistance in searching for the relevant peer-reviewed journals. Dont ask dont get.

Soldato
You could always email the uni library asking for assistance in searching for the relevant peer-reviewed journals. Dont ask dont get.

Yup, I would agree with this. All librarians that I've asked are more than happy to help searching for articles and giving advice on the journals themselves. That's one of the reasons they're there for after all.

Back
Top Bottom