5ms / 8ms - will i notice the difference?

Associate
I am looking at a monitor upgrade... what i want to know is..... will i really notice any difference between the response rates... i have seen them at 5ms and 8ms..

will it really make much, or any, difference?

Associate
I had a Hanns-G 19" 8ms and now have a Xerox 22" 5ms and haven't noticed any difference in gaming (except for the obvious) :p

p.s. Although when i say obvious, i forgot to mention my average framerate has gone downhill, as i've gone from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 gaming :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks a lot... didn't think it would make much difference... companies seem to be jumping on the response rate bandwagon, and then charging a load more because one is 3ms faster than another....

Man of Honour
if you're talking 8ms ISO response time vs 5ms ISO response time (like i think you are) on same technology panels, then no, you won't notice much, if any, real difference in practice. The difference might come when you start looking at screens with RTC / overdrive technologies where response times are listed as "G2G" figures....also when you go to other technologies other than TN Film, anything less than about 12ms in the spec would indicate RTC is being used, and so will vary again compared with TN Film panels.

Rough guide and time line for you:

• TN Film / non overdriven panels = 16ms, 12ms, 8ms, 5ms - all ISO response times, all pretty comparable in practice

• TN Film with RTC / overdrive panels = anything quoted with a response time less than 5ms, and anything listed as "G2G"....4ms G2G, 3ms G2G and 2ms G2G all common now, and again all comparable with one another in practice. These overdriven TN Film panels are arguably the fastest in the market in practice and normally the choice for gaming displays.

• PVA panels / non overdriven = limited to 12ms response time as lowest figure, rare nowadays, certainly no new models with them now. Pretty slow in practice and slower than all the 16/12/8/5 TN Film models, depsite their use of the "12ms" figure

• PVA panels with RTC = first gen was listed as 8ms G2G and showed no real improvement in practice compared with the non overdriven gen before it. Samsung then updated to their 6ms G2G rated gen which DID show some good improvement thanks to the RTC being used. 6ms G2G is current limit on PVA / S-PVA panels for response time, and responsiveness is pretty much comparable to 5ms TN Film gen and 8ms G2G P-MVA gen (see next bit).

• MVA panels without RTC = limited pretty much to 16ms as a minimum quoted response time. Again, very slow in practice, certainly behind TN Film panels with similar quoted figures. very rare, certainly no new models with them now

• MVA panels with RTC = most are listed as 8ms G2G, application of overdrive was very effective, comparable to Samsung's second attempt which formed their 6ms rated gen of PVA panels. 8ms G2G MVA panels comparable also to 8ms/5ms TN Film models.

• IPS panels without RTC = again limited to 16ms as min figure in specs, very rare now (note: ignore the Dell 2007WFP / 2007FP models here, they are actually 8ms G2G). Very slow in practice like the non overdriven PVA/MVA panels

• IPS panels with RTC = most are listed as either 8ms G2G or 6ms G2G, marked improvement thanks to overdrive, and some are even considered quite comparable to the fastest overdriven TN Film panels. overdriven IPS tend to be on par, or faster than the 6ms G2G PVA and 8ms G2G MVA panels

Hope that helps a bit as a guide...

Soldato
Bah :(

I need a monitor with a glass front as lots of people use our PC and i don't trust others not to scratch the screen or cause pressure marks when i'm not about.What model was your Xerox as i was thinking of getting the Xerox XM7-22W DVI 22'' and the description says Anti glare screen and a Image Brightness 300 cd/m2 what ever that is.

gpl

gpl

Associate
Hello mate.
I have a xerox XA7 19" with the glass screen but mine is one of the early ones which has a pink tint to it which reduses the glare by another 50% compared to the later xerox ones i have seen i just wondered if anyone had seen the new xerox monitors to see if they have reverted back again to the glass front with the pink tint, which are great.

You can see what i mean about the pink tinted glass front if you checkout some of the pictures of the XA7 on EBAY.

gpl

gpl

Associate
Very little.
A lot better than anything else i have seen.
But i am not sure xerox still use the pink tint anymore.
Have you had a look on ebay to see what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom