Someone recommend me a sub?

Caporegime
Hello all,

I've got a Yamaha something or other amp (can't remember the model number) and 4 Acoustic Energy wall mounted speakers and the setup works great as they are mounted in the corners of my room, giving me good decent surround sound, they are bi-wired as well.

The amp, is fine, don't have any issues with it, more than powerful enough, I just need a center and a sub to give me my 5.1 (have been running the current setup for 2 years now).

For the center I'm just going to get one to match the set, so looks wise it fits and I know the speaker will be good as well.

Sub - now this is where I need some help, it doesn't need an amp built in (obviously) It doesn't need to be hugely powerful, but the extra umph would be nice for when playing games or an intense action film or something, I mainly want good, deep background base.

Not sure on budget, just don't go silly :p

Only real requirement is that it has a beach wood finish so it matches everything else.

Many Thanks,
Phate.

Soldato
Sub - now this is where I need some help, it doesn't need an amp built in (obviously) It doesn't need to be hugely powerful, but the extra umph would be nice for when playing games or an intense action film or something, I mainly want good, deep background base.

You DO want an inbuilt amp, doubt the yammy will drive a sub well tbh.

BKelec range if buying new and on a budget, they seem to have the low end cornered.

Permabanned
Shall we say...£100 - £200?

Don't bother, new- it'll just make your system sound worse. You'll just get a wooly, lumpy boomy POS for that. I'd save up and spend at least £400, one of the BK's.

£1000 on a subwoofer isn't silly- to me and hundreds of others. And as jellybeard said, if you don't have a amplifier to drive a passive sub you'll need a active subwoofer.

Soldato
have a look for second hand REL strata 3 or REL storm, the trouble with a lot of cheaper subs is they dont truly go to sub levels and rely on bumping up the 35-40hz levels, most REL subs should happily reach the low 20s.

and i would not suggest getting a passive sub, better spending money on a built in amp.

you could always veneer it yourself with beach

Soldato
Don't bother, new- it'll just make your system sound worse. You'll just get a wooly, lumpy boomy POS for that. I'd save up and spend at least £400, one of the BK's.

£1000 on a subwoofer isn't silly- to me and hundreds of others. And as jellybeard said, if you don't have a amplifier to drive a passive sub you'll need a active subwoofer.

Be fair, most people arent willing to spend that much. I've a paradigm PS1000 which wasnt THAT expensive new, but i got it for £60 and it adds SO much to films in comparison to 5.0. I'm no expert, but its FAR better than an all in one, of course you can get better, but that doesnt mean i'll pay the extra.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm - check out the Gemini and XLS200 , dont go lower though, you DO get to a point where its just a noise, not a sound.

Permabanned
Also have to bear in mind how big is the OP's room?

Huge room-little sub= no.

I'd get at least the Gemini, as said but try and fork out the extra for the XL200. Or perhaps save up for the Velodyne Signature 1812? ;)

Soldato
submarine080607_468x392.jpg

bit big for your front room tho :)

Associate
A cheap sub will do more harm than good to your system. Second hand is the only way you stand a chance of getting a half assed one with your budget. REL, B&W or if your very lucky M&K stuff is worth a look.

Dave

Soldato
Agree with all of the above..

I'd get a second hand mid range sub, should be possible for £250-£300, keep an eye on the AVFORUMS classifieds..
Past masters for me would include some mentioned above..
Velodyne CHT10 is a nice entry level 10" for a smallish room
Veoldyne CHT12 a bit pricier, seen some go for £300..
Mission M5AS (best room standing sub I've heard for music as well), 12", too much for a small room
REL Storm
Paradigm PS1000

Do consider your room size, neighbours/other people in house.. a decent sub can shake the fillings out of your grandma's teeth..

Associate
I have the BK xls200 and it certainly does the job m8, I picked it up from a for sale forum for about £150 and it is a very good buy. Good most certainly doesn't have to be expensive.

If you can provide the model numbers of the amp and speakers we can better cost a sub for you though.. if your amp cost 2k (as some yammys can do new) and your speakers cost a bomb then you want to splash a bit more.. but if the amp was £250 and the speakers were 300-400 then £150 is a fare price to pay for a sub to compliment your system.

Soldato
You believe it is. It isn't. It's ok for a PC audio system, but forget for a main system.

no need to belittle something the man seems very happy with.

while its true theres no point spending a fortune if you have a moddest set-up subs dont generally have to match the rest of the speakers as they are not reproducing the human voice or mainstream musical instruments (unless you like barry white :D).

if you have bookshelfs get one with a good frequency cut of upto about 70hz and match up with a frequency sweep CD where your bookshelfs cut off in the bass department.

Soldato
You believe it is. It isn't. It's ok for a PC audio system, but forget for a main system.

Its FAR better than a PC sub, true, its not a great sub in the scheme of things, but most would be impressed by it.

If some rich guy was to come along and say your setup is crap, and his £10000000 sub is better, while a valid point, its not particularly useful, since youd never have that much to spend :rolleyes:

Stop being squiffy (where is he anyway) no2 :o

Back
Top Bottom