Cable router

Soldato
Whats a good choice in wireless router for 20mb ntl, i see lots say the Linksys but which model is the choice

Linksys WRT54GL 54Mbps Open Source Wireless Cable Route
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-052-LS&groupid=46&catid=1014&subcat=

Linksys WRT54GS 54Mbps SpeedBooster Wireless Cable Router
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-006-LS&groupid=46&catid=1014&subcat=

Also are you better off with a wireless usb adapter or a pci wireless card thanks in advance.

Associate
I chose the cheapest i could find as a short term solution until i configured a Smoothwall box but it's been rock solid and has no problem with the speed of the 20MB connection so i've stuck with it. it is:

Netgear RP614 (v4 i think)

it also supports mac spoofing which can be handy on Virgin.

Oh and PCI wireless card for the win. USB devices are resource heavy. Just remember that an average signal strength on a 54mbps wireless card might not saturate your vm link. hence wired = cool. or 108mbps/300mbps draft n wireless

Last edited:
Associate
providing you get a solid wireless (i.e. strong) connection it should be fine. If it's 60% or less signal strength i'd consider upgrading to a wired or 108/300Mbps wireless network (router+laptop/PC wireless cards).

Soldato
OP
Does it really make much difference what router i as i not going wireless now, or is there still ones that are better as i will have to visit a certain "world" place for it as it will be too late from overs.

Associate
Shouldn't be too much of an issue so long as you make sure you get a cable one. From my experience Netgear and Linksys are pretty safe bets.

Caporegime
The difference in price between the WRT54GL and most wired-only routers is negligible - and most wired-only routers can't run the third-party firmware the WRTs can - and you can always disable the wireless.

Back
Top Bottom