Smothwall.

Soldato
Hi.
Does anyone here know if Smoothwall can act as a simple firewall?
I'd like to have it setup on the edge of our network, passing traffic through as normal, but block certain ports/protocols like a normal firewall.
Or will it have to be setup so all net traffic is redirected to itself?

Thanks in advance all. :).

Soldato
It depends on where you place it on your network, but yes it can act as a firewall that blocks certain ports/services and passes everything else through to your network.

Soldato
OP
How do i set it up to do that?
Because at the moment, im having nothing but problems.
I have the admin password set, but it doesnt like it, and all the config options in the installer are based around it being a active firewall, rarther than a passive one.

Is there not a GUI interface on it? A web interface!?

Associate
it might be helpful if you cna provide some more info re: your network, its current configuratione tc and how you'd like it, for what reasons etc

i'm just wondering, if you're interested in Smoothwall why don't you use this as your primary (and only) firewall?

Like so:

Smoothy: Red interface for NET, Green for LAN
Green plugged into (wireless) switch
PCs/laptops connected to switch

i.e. in the standard fashion

Soldato
OP
it might be helpful if you cna provide some more info re: your network, its current configuratione tc and how you'd like it, for what reasons etc

i'm just wondering, if you're interested in Smoothwall why don't you use this as your primary (and only) firewall?

Like so:

Smoothy: Red interface for NET, Green for LAN
Green plugged into (wireless) switch
PCs/laptops connected to switch

i.e. in the standard fashion

Ive managed to get it working through its own web interface.
Its a little odd, because even though the documentation is says green is internal, red is external, thats just not the case from what ive seen thus far?

So, where from the web interface can i set it to be just a firewall that just passes traffic through and blocks specific traffic?
I dont want to have to spend all afternoon reconfiguring our domain to pass through stuff to the smoothwalls IP, i just want it acting as a dumb firewall.

Back
Top Bottom