Best Multiplayer FPS?

Associate
All time fav's are Quakeworld and Tribes.

ETQW has my attention atm, getting better the more i play..

After the second update, i went through and added loads of UK servers to my favourites list, and just refresh that list, but there have never been many servers that had people in, and when I went on the other night it was completely dead!

Hmm something wrong there. Try altering your filters and don't limit yourself to UK servers, pings to Euro servers are perfectly good.

My filters give me ~30 populated servers during the day and 40-50+ in the evening.

Caporegime
MOHAA. Everything was right about it; the maps, the engine, the hit boxes, the weapons. The lack of support, a lousy publisher trying to cash in, and cheating killed it.

Agreed, absolutely fantastic game, the Multiplayer aspect makes my mouth drool even now.
It was a shame that EA bought out and the 2015 disbanded, with EA originally being only the publisher I would have hoped they would have taken it far. It lacked Anti-Cheat but the Spearhead and Vanilla communities came up with their own 3rd party - which is the only example along with the one for CS (forget name black-something?)

I worked my way through 3 boxes of Mohaa and 5 disc's of Spearhead I played the game that much.

St.Lo, Renan, V2 and The Bridge - good times. :D

I also an now adoring CoD4, it reminds me of Moh in a way, its fast in your face non stop action and requires skill and concentration (Hardcore only, I ain't no noob, fool) and I can get to the top of the board which I haven't dose since BF2; and that, is another game entirely!

BF2/DC/BFV/1942 - Game I spent again so so many hours on (was I ever 15?) '42 kicked it off showing that large scale combat was possible - planes, tanks and fps gunnin' to boot. It was terrible at first but the patches started to roll out, people learnt the game you get a good ol' tank convoy rolling around flags, planes dive-bombing positions and your really feel panic at not wanting to lose the tank you just spent 10 minutes camping for and would try for dear life to get the angle of the turret just right to kill the person at the other side of hill.
DC - best mod ever and IMO better the CS (mod wise), there was a hell of a lot of work in that mod, vast amounts of maps, textures, vehicles of all sorts and a community that weren’t all complete twits, if BF2 wasn't released then it would have been fantastic to see v1. Shame they were hired and then dropped by DICE/EA - but it gave them the leg into the Games Market so good on them.

BF2 - Desert Wombats, ah yes what a game, we had waited so long for that game we were teased and rubbed with its sweet goodness and in June 2005 :)eek:) it came, and what a game, DICE really did roll out all the stops to get this game right, it was just so right, it was so much smoother than the previous Battlefield engines, the lag was gone, everything was clean and precise and the game ran rather well on all machines (even the dx8.1 cracked Ti4xxx's ;)).
The rank system really was a pain, I had to be top, no matter what I would get in that Blackhawk and whore like a mofo, getting all your engineers and medic in the back in the right positions meant you could fly round and be untouchable - well that’s what the rest of DW though until I was on the other end in my T-90 (;)).
It didn’t suffer from cheating much (on our server) and wasn’t plagued by a lack of support as everything major was fixed and then it rally was all being answered, the Blackhawk was nerfed, so was bunny hopping, launcher nades, C4 cars - it was what the made the game so infuriating yet so dam cool in the first place, the game wasn't impossible just people who lacked ability moaned and moaned and ultimately changed the game entirely, for the worse, imo.

CS/CSS – great game, well balanced, plenty of servers, good for a blast, never got into competitive matches.
UT2k4 – liked this for the vehicles like game play of battlefield, it’s a UT game so Netcode, Graphics, Gameplay, Performance all the best you can get, shame not so many people played it, it was fantastic, but people probably thought that it was just 99/UT2k3.

Jesus, that’s some rambling, I better sleep! :eek:

Caporegime
I am going to be controversial and say
Crysis i find it great online

It's crap, in terms of the quality of the Single player and compared to other MP's.

It's not built for it; I've played a few hours and really am getting into the game mode. They need to fix the lag, cheat holes, item collisions, aircraft, base defences and many other things I was screaming at this evening.

Soldato
Battlefield 2 would be great if it wasn't for the poxy hitreg and lack of love and care from EA's side, at the moment I don't really have a favourite though.

The weird lag it has is not great but I find its fairer then css because everyone suffers equally barring the bigger ping differences which happens in every game

My fav would be bf2, PR mod especially as the xmas update will stop bunny hop and prone diving it is hoped. They are decreasing weapon accuracy if you have recently moved, no more rambo on a pogostick

Associate
BF 2142 then CS:S then BF2....allthough I still have to try COD4 online...this seems to be getting loads of speak at the moment.
Got QW and its 'not happenin' really.

Associate
Its Joint Ops.

But not enough people bought it so it sank after after about 18 months.
It was THE best online game ever.

Joint Ops was great, if it didn't have all those bugs it would have been my favourite. But now the servers aren't as full as they used to be, nothing beats being on one of the 150 player servers, was quite a unique game even battlefield 2 didn't quite have the same feeling for the large scale battles.

At the moment though it has to be CoD4 for me

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Can't say at the moment as i am having a Dilemma concerning my FPS.
Of course i would say BF2 as i have logged well over 2500 hours online & it has played perfectly on my old rig since day one & through all my upgrades. The game is Truly Awesome.
Then some kind person bought me COD4 on Saturday night so i have been playing that ever since. Being 3 weeks behind everyone else the learning curve is Massive. The maps being so small give you no time for thought & only time for Instinctive kills. I've got myself to Gunnery Sergeant & am starting to feel at home now, Map knowledge being key to any online FPS. I must say it is Brutal, brilliantly aggressive with no quarter given at all. I Love it. The minute you enter you feel in a war zone, the Atmosphere they have created is Sublime. Graphically it is Superb even on my old rig & it loaded & plays Perfectly.
The only kicker is the map size, I do feel the maps need to be slightly larger. Not all of them but some are far to small to get any tactics going.
Whether COD4 draws me away from BF2 long term though i don't know. I prefer the tactical side of BF2 & the map size & the option of some Superb vehicles. On COD4 i prefer the in your face sheer Brutality & vicious kills you can meter out. My love for COD goes back to COD original & my old clan but after playing COD4 i know that the guys that produce COD4 have taken my FPS into a New Dimension. For that i Thank them :cool:
Maybe in a month i will be able to answer the O.P. but for now the above is the best i can do.

C64

C64

Soldato
[DW]Muffin;10578109 said:
It's crap, in terms of the quality of the Single player and compared to other MP's.

It's not built for it; I've played a few hours and really am getting into the game mode. They need to fix the lag, cheat holes, item collisions, aircraft, base defences and many other things I was screaming at this evening.

what lag ? this game is superb online and i have most fps this is the best easily and will get stronger with patches.
what cheat holes ? well i am sure they will be fixed.
This game is everything bf should be and more i guess i just love sniping too much then.Crysis is the best multiplayer fps behind cs source
battlefield and the rest are old hat tbh once you've snuck up on someone or put explosives on your jeep jumped out at the last second after boosting it toward the enemy and flipped the detonate button made a 1000 yard sniper headshot whilst stealthed there's really no going back.
Just makes other games feel 10 years old and rather dull.

Last edited:
Associate
Theres only one. Half Life - Death match. Nothing else even comes close, other than Quake 3 (maybe). MULTIPLAYERs now days are either to slow or to cheesy.

Back
Top Bottom