Console Game of the Year (Nominations)

Soldato
Ok. Here we are. All of the big hitters are out so I thought we'd decide what we think are our games of the year. We'll have a nominations round first to decide the top 10 then we'll post a poll to have that final say. All consoles count (PS2/PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP) but the game must have been released in 2007.

I want your >>> 3 <<< nominations in any order and I'll work out a top 10 then put out a poll in a couple of weeks for a final descision. Feel free to say why your nominating the games and any which nearly made the cut. Also add your biggest disappointment(s) of the year.

The Nominations will remain open until the end of the year so you can play your xmas pressies first.
Cut off will be >> FRIDAY 4TH JANUARY <<

My nominations:

Mass Effect ~ Sublime gaming experience. Despite some small niggles and the fact I've not finished I've yet to play a rpg with this much atmosphere. Amazing music and voice acting this is my first choice.

Crackdown ~ Most underrated game of the year. Despite being relatively short the game brings a breath of fresh of air to the sand box genre. It has a breathtaking draw distance and climbing and jumping between buildings was genuinely exhilerating. One of the few games I could seriously consider rebuying to play again.

Bioshock ~ Again, atmospheric, original and a great story. Ok, it didn't have much replayability but the moment I landed in the water and entered Rapture I was hooked. Amazing graphics and music, twists, shocks; fantastic stuff and the reason I play games.

Other contenders were The Darkness (such a great story with original gameplay), Halo 3 (playing 3 player coop over live was amazing), Blue Dragon (despite the traditional feel of the play this was a thoroughly lovely game to play) and PGR4 (the best next-gen racing game imo). Disclaimer: I've not played Portal (Orange Box) or COD4 yet so these haven't figured.

My biggest disappointment: Eternal Sonata ~ After reading so many good things about it I expected greatness. Sure the graphics were lovely but the combat was repetitive and too 'twitchy'. The bonus dungeon was one of the worst designed and the need to 'grind' to finish it was the final blow.

Last edited:
Soldato
My top 3 games of the year are,

God of War 2
For what it achieved on the PS2, its fantastic gameplay, interesting story and pure gory fun, this games holds it head up high against the current HD games. It also looks so awesome upscaled on a PS3.

Orange Box (only played PC but same as consoles TBH)
One of the best FPS games ever, with one of the most fun MP games, the wonderful if short Portal, add both episode 1 and 2, makes this game the best value game of the year and contains some of the best gaming experiences ive had.

Call of Duty 4
This game is immense, the single player game is short but so intense you really do feel like your in a warzone, and the C-130 Sceptre bit I always find so much fun im sure if you stuck it on Youtube the BBC would think its real lol. The MP game is probably the best part of the game, so may different game types, the levelling up process the perks, customisable class all of it works great. The actual MP game its self seems pretty lag free in most cases and now since the patch the game doesnt take long to get you in a match, i just wished it balances the teams a bit better.

Havent played Mario galaxy ( dont like mario games anyway), mass effect, or uncharted so i cant mention them as my GOTY as it would be on other peoples experience no my own. Other worthwhile mentions would be Ratchet and Clank, most fun ive had gaming for years, Warhawk great fun MP game with awesome gameplay and draw distance is phenomenal, Bioshock great story, great game, great atmosphere, just more linear than I thought it would be.

Soldato
Hmmm a lot of FPS games being mentioned here, which means one of them wont be a winner. Mass Effect is top quality and it is in the stand out crowd, its a given.

Don
My most played games and the one's that I've gone back to again and again are the following:

FIFA 2008
The Darkness
Crackdown

The 'big' games, Mass Affect, COD4, Bioshock, Orange Box, Mario Galaxy I'm either yet to play or haven't given enough time to them to really nominate them for anything. When the GF gets the Wii for Xmas I can't wait for Mario Galaxy.

Last edited:
Soldato
PGR4
Because if its technical excellence both in audio and visuals, great uploading,downloading of pics and replays, fast sense of speed, fun to play and great variety for a racer.

COD4
Because it lived upto its expectations

Do agree with some other nominations as really its been a great year for games.

Back
Top Bottom