Minimum salary for IT Helpdesk support?

Tk7

Tk7

Associate
I started my current job on 13.5k doing hardware support. Got promoted to 16.5k doing software support too, now on 19.5k doing 2nd level support.

Not the highest wages, but i'm very pleased. been here 2.5 years, and with my wifes salary and low living costs, we live quite comfortably.

Soldato
My first job in IT support was first line £6 an hour.
Then at Convergys on the Microsoft campaign with Penski and co I was 2nd line so £8 an hour.
Moved to another first line support and moved from 14.5k pa to 19k pa and recently promoted to Technical Lead on 23k.

Money is alright for the North East.

You were on th MS contract as well?! :confused:

Soldato
That's a helluva rise. You sure the figures are right (he may be on less than you were)?

Very rare you see people more than double their salary within the same department in one jump - normally that requires a change in company.

I thought they would pay him less (say around 15k) but I found out they had matched my pay (I have 8 years server/network management experience MCSE and CCNA) - my jaw dropped so hard it hit the floor. :eek::(

Soldato
9k, wow never seen it that low before...

Stelly

see it all the time down here in Cornwall, although it seems to have picked up lately with quite a few 12k jobs... a lot of my colleages started on the job doing 1st line support on 6-7k about 5 years ago... shocking.

Soldato
I know County based IT jobs its not all that good pay compared to industry rates.
Most of the jobs, from technicians to network managers will be on sub £20k.
They have problems keeping staff on because of that.

Associate
Generally it goes something like:
1st line = 14-17k
2nd line = 18-23ish

If its a 1st/2nd with a specialty (eg oracle, active directory etc) and you have relevant qualification add about 5k.
If its contract work the basic will be about 2-4k more and the specialty stuff getting on for double.
I do second line oracle DBA on 28k salaried, the contractors working with me (same job/responibilties etc) are on closer to 50 (oracle OCA) or 65 if fully qualified (oracle OCP).
You can add £5k to each of those numbers for London too (on average).

At my place it's more like:
1st: 28 - 35k
2nd: 30 - 40k
3rd: 35 - 50k

Remember if you work your way up to do 2nd/3rd line support you'll get an on-call allowance and overtime.

Caporegime
You can add £5k to each of those numbers for London too (on average).

At my place it's more like:
1st: 28 - 35k
2nd: 30 - 40k
3rd: 35 - 50k

Remember if you work your way up to do 2nd/3rd line support you'll get an on-call allowance and overtime.

28-35k for 1st line... is that an iunvestment bacnk or something? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom