• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Q6600 Overclocking Thread ***

Associate
That is very high temp for that overclock or vcore (is that idle/under load?). If the cooler is mounted all ok and various temp sensors are reading correctly then I think its a case of you having to lap your cooler. I had to do lap mine as it was not completely flat thus was making bad contact and giving silly temps. My temps currently are 33c (idle) 1.47vcore @ 3.75Ghz, speedstep off.
wow, that's very low.

many thanks for the explanation, i was wondering why the temperature wasn't as good as other people's. i'll now try to find some sandpaper to lap it.

edit: does this lapping kit look reasonable?
The coarse grits supplied are;-

1 * sheet of 400 grit, 1 * sheet of 600 grit, 1 * sheet of 800 grit, 1 * sheet of 1000 grit, 1 * sheet of 1200 grit an

The fine grades are;-

1 * sheet of 1500 grit (approx 14 microns)
1 * sheet of 2000 grit (approx 10 microns)
1 * sheet of 2500 grit (approx 7 microns)

sorry, never lapped before, will read up on instructions later

Last edited:
Associate
Hello,

I have My q6600 G0 running at 3420mhz 380x9 with 1.344v (1.4v in bios huge vdrop).

i notice when i prime the 4 cores that both cpuz and speedfan show that the core voltage drops to around 1.3v, is this normal?

Does anyone know what the max temp the p35 chipset is designed to operate to? because mines quite hot.

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Hello,

I have My q6600 G0 running at 3420mhz 380x9 with 1.344v (1.4v in bios huge vdrop).

i notice when i prime the 4 cores that both cpuz and speedfan show that the core voltage drops to around 1.3v, is this normal?

Does anyone know what the max temp the p35 chipset is designed to operate to? because mines quite hot.

Yip it's normal for the voltage to drop during load.

How hot is the motherboard? No real reason why they should be able to get into the 80's without any damage being done.

Soldato
What water cooling you using for that. Your temps seem very low?

Im using a D-tek fuzion w/quad nozzle kit & PA120.3 and a cold day.

It is quite low but its only 1.5v, Ive seen even lower temps, W3bbo has 4Ghz with 1.64v and only 55c, mine would be in the low 60's with that voltage

Are you sure your motherboard is reading your chip ok?

Positive, i had a different water cooling & Q6600 G0 before and 3.75Ghz was in the mid 60's. Same motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
Yip it's normal for the voltage to drop during load.

How hot is the motherboard? No real reason why they should be able to get into the 80's without any damage being done.

I,m happy now with 400x8 1:1 ratio with ram, i think my 667 ram is holding her back, but 400x8 is a good starting overclock with volts being at 1.264v

speedfan report temp of northbridge as 46-50c but ive seen it 60c without the fan being on full whack.

at full prime load the cores are about 35-38c @3200mhz, idle temps of around 20c

Last edited:
Soldato
Im using a D-tek fuzion w/quad nozzle kit & PA120.3 and a cold day.

It is quite low but its only 1.5v, Ive seen even lower temps, W3bbo has 4Ghz with 1.64v and only 55c, mine would be in the low 60's with that voltage

Positive, i had a different water cooling & Q6600 G0 before and 3.75Ghz was in the mid 60's. Same motherboard.

i'd say your case is either sitting on the ledge with the window open or it's in a shed outside.

considering the clock and voltage (your vid is also a very low 1.21) i agree those temps look extremely low even for good water.

Man of Honour
Finally got mine up to 3.6Ghz (9x400) but that's my lot. Bloody thing will not boot with a fsb of more than 400. I dropped the multiplier down to 6x to see what the board will do but it won't go past it. I even tried other values to see if there was a fsb hole but it was no good. Pity really as i feel it has more to give as 3.6Ghz was easy. Prime stable for 24 hours too. Temps are 42-46-48-48 (my rad is on a windowsill). I might lap the cpu as it would seem to be uneven as you can see from the temps. The block is lapped already. The only thing i can do now is to tweak the voltages to see how low i can go. Currently set to 1.5v vcore in the bios, gives me 1.46v in windows but drops to 1.4v in prime. Terrible vdroop on this board so may do the vdroop pencil mod. Just need to remember to buy a 2HB pencil. I know it's the cpu that is the problem as the same happened in my 965P DS3P. I, and quite a few others on here, thought it was the mobo which is why i got the P5E. The DS3P had other issues with the Quad as well though. I will post a screenie when i have finished tweaking.

Associate
Hi all,

My first ever OC today seems to have gone well - up to 3.2GHz (See below :) ) My question is am I likely to be able to up the FSB to get me to 3.4 without upping the vcore? Could you also cast you eyes over my numbers and reassure me that everything looks OK? Thanks for your help

OC_1.jpg

Edit: spelling

ITR

ITR

Associate
Had a play with my new G0 this weekend. Installed in my watercooled P5B Deluxe.

Max - 3.7Ghz @ 1.575 - High 50's full load temps.

My memory/mobo is holding me back now, really must invest in some PC8500+.

Currently running 410x9, im sure this chip will do 4Ghz, but motherboard FSB wall is 430mhz and the memory don't like it at those speeds..

Soldato
ok so you're sitting in the room with the PC with a big wooly coat and a beanie?

at that voltage and clock your ambient must be about 10c or lower.

I didn't sit watching it prime tbh, it gets a bit boring after 5 mins, i started it up and i left for work.
I have already said it was a cold day, deffo would have been under 10c as it was 12c in here when i woke up today and its no where near like the cold snap we had a few weeks ago.

Soldato
@ Devious

Please can I ask as to where you got that low VID Q6600 from?
OEM or Retail?
FPO#?

Thanks in advance

I got it off ebay, retail FPO L737B186 , the seller had 4 of them all the same batch ;)

The newer batches seem to have a lot of low VIDs now, most of the L737A & B's are low vid (lowest being 1.200v :eek:) but not all, ive seen the odd 1.3v :o

Ive seen some low VID L740's too.

Associate
Well I about a week ago or perhaps nearly 2 got my Q6600, being a newb at overclocking took my shot, I got it to 3.1Ghz stable, but now I've finally decided to push on, currently I've got it to where if I can get stable with decent temps I'll be happy with so currently 378x9 = 3402Mhz (3.4Ghz) I'll post screenies if it survives the stress test I'm putting it through at the mo.

I were wondering, in the Bios I've had to raise the Core Voltage to 1.43 I think it were in CPU-Z under load at the mo it's displaying 1.340, although it keeps changing between 1.330 & 1.360, Is that simply it being innacurate or is something up?

Is PWM temp being around 67-73°C too high? It seems to go up then drop in temp then up again I'm reading temps via Everest btw. Currently the CPU temps are..

CPU: 49°C
Core1: 62°C
Core2: 59°C
Core3: 63°C
Core4: 59°C

Those temps are under 100% loads for the last 3 hours 17 mins, I'm currently testing it with 2 instances of Prime95 torture test, Orthos & OCCT running at the same time (Enough to stress 6 cores out, since both Orthos & OCCT take up 2 cores each) I have OCCT set for CPU stress test for 16 hours, ORTHOS is Small FFTs (Stress CPU) & Prime95 is set for Maximum Heat & Power Consumption option I can't remember what the option was actually called! :D Edit: Would you say that many hours (I'm aiming at 16+ hours) of this kind of stress would say stability? I would say so but I'd like others opinions on this given that.

Anyway this is on Air on

Abit IP-35 Pro
Q6600 G0
ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme (With 120mm fan attached to it) in the Antec 900
2GB GeIL DDR800 RAM (2.1v, 4-4-4-12, 1:1 with FSB so it's underclocked a little but I'm ok with that for now)
Leadtek 8800GT

Anyway given what info I've given, would you say I'm on track for ok-ness? I'd like to be able to run the comp 24/7, I've been running prime95 recently & feel I might get into folding 24/7 at some point... As far as I can tell this is going ok so far, but I could really do with some answer on the PWM temp as I've looked around & seen such mixed signals from people saying you should worry when it goes over 60°C to other who say don't worry about it til 100°C (And it's safety limit is 120°C) So does anyone know precisely what is good & what is not for the PWM temp?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom